Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: wine importers you trust

[ QUOTE ]
what is your general price range? I work for one of the biggest wine and spirits stores in the chicagoland and midwest region(my store alone does $10-12m a year in business and the chain does in excess of $150m a year), so i've been able to recently have a bunch of stuff at the lower price points( I really do need to note though that I am awful when it comes to california as I don't drink all that much cali wine and generally prefer french and italian wines with australia and oregon being my next best areas, so when it comes to cali cabs, I generally favor the more backwards and long lived ones like monte bello, togni, and montelena estate)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Binny's? Thanks for a good thread for those of us getting into wine in Chicago; any tips on relatively good value places to try lots of wine are appreciated.

I myself am a fan of Burgundy and Pacific Northwest Pinot... and I recently had the pleasure of trying an '04 Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus from Bouchard Pere-et-Fils. On the fruity side, just amazingly delicious and smooth for about $55 if I recall correctly.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM

yup, the binny's in Highland Park. If you ever want to come in while I'm working I will always be glad to help you out, and that goes for any chicagoland 2p2ers. Just plan ahead a little bit and shoot me a PM and I'll let you know when I'm working.

as far as values, there is actually a lot of really good chianti that is coming out right now. Tuscany recently had a sick run of three vintages(04,05, and 06 with 05 being the real stunner, so I can't wait til 2011 for the 05 brunellos to come out). A lot of chianti and Montalpulcinos from those vintages are out right now and are just great to drink. Easy affordable way to get into tuscan wine before jumping into the brunello waters if you haven't had much tuscan wine
Old 11-15-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yup, the binny's in Highland Park. If you ever want to come in while I'm working I will always be glad to help you out, and that goes for any chicagoland 2p2ers. Just plan ahead a little bit and shoot me a PM and I'll let you know when I'm working.

as far as values, there is actually a lot of really good chianti that is coming out right now. Tuscany recently had a sick run of three vintages(04,05, and 06 with 05 being the real stunner, so I can't wait til 2011 for the 05 brunellos to come out). A lot of chianti and Montalpulcinos from those vintages are out right now and are just great to drink. Easy affordable way to get into tuscan wine before jumping into the brunello waters if you haven't had much tuscan wine

[/ QUOTE ]

The '05 Chianti's rock. I just had a tasting from the winemaker at Cecchi. Try their '05 Chianti. Such a great value (should be around 20 bucks). So smooth. Great value.