Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: New D&B shorthanded book by Borer, Mak &Tanenbaum......

[ QUOTE ]
Surprise surprise, they have both been delayed ANOTHER month. What a joke. Estimated date of release is now September 07 for the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know very little about this publisher, but I do know something about publishing books. Unfortunately, there are many things that can happen which can cause delays in publication for which the publisher has no responsibility for. These can include the authors not finishing the manuscript when planned, to the mill not producing the paper on time, to having the wrong paper show up, to having problems with getting on the printing press in a timely manner, the same for the binding machine, and lots of other stuff.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know very little about this publisher, but I do know something about publishing books. Unfortunately, there are many things that can happen which can cause delays in publication for which the publisher has no responsibility for. These can include the authors not finishing the manuscript when planned, to the mill not producing the paper on time, to having the wrong paper show up, to having problems with getting on the printing press in a timely manner, the same for the binding machine, and lots of other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite a list. So exactly what does the publisher have responsiblity for ?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So exactly what does the publisher have responsiblity for ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of stuff. This includes selecting appropriate manuscripts. Assuring that they are finished with the highest quality. Over seeing all printing and art work. Selling the book including all sorts of different kinds of distribution. Promoting the book which could include running a website like www.twoplustwo.com. International rights and the publishing of the books in foreign languages, storage and insurance on books in inventory, billing to buyers, handling returns, book packing and shipping, dealing with other publishers when necessary, copyrights, author contracts, other legal issues, and lots of other stuff.

MM
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of stuff. This includes selecting appropriate manuscripts. Assuring that they are finished with the highest quality. Over seeing all printing and art work. Selling the book including all sorts of different kinds of distribution. Promoting the book which could include running a website like www.twoplustwo.com. International rights and the publishing of the books in foreign languages, storage and insurance on books in inventory, billing to buyers, handling returns, book packing and shipping, dealing with other publishers when necessary, copyrights, author contracts, other legal issues, and lots of other stuff.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Answering dumb questions on the Interweb.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Answering dumb questions on the Interweb.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like the fun part.

Hoping these are good books. Nothing else to look forward to, limit Hold'em-wise.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Tanenbaum's Advanced Hold'em Strategy arrived in our shop today so should be hitting UK shops/websites in the next few days
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM

I am in the UK and am wanting to get the D&B short handed book . Does anyone know if this is available yet?

Amazon uk is showing this as in stock and available (but publishing date is showing as the 20th September!).
Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 AM

Hi. They have it. If this thread has taught you anything, it is that publication dates are estimates. :-)

I hope you enjoy it. It is a very good book.

It won't be in stores in the US for a few weeks, (shipping, customs, US distributor receiving, repackaging, shipping, merchant receiving, shelving.)

Early US adopters can purchase it through Amazon US via UK resellers for around $20 + $4 shipping and a 7-10 day wait for the Royal Post.

Others have done this for my other book, and it reportedly has worked.

-barryt
Old 09-18-2007, 04:16 AM

OK, I received Barry's Advanced limit book today and I am in Sydney Australia. I ordered through an Amazon marketplace seller called "The Book Depository" who are based in the UK. I have also ordered the Shorthanded book from them so hopefully I get that one in the next week or two as well.

As for Barry's book, I've only read the first 50 odd pages or so but so far I am impressed. It is definitely quality material and not just fluff. I can already tell that this one is a keeper and I will no doubt be referring back to it regularly.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM

I received it (The shorthanded book, not the Barry T book) yesterday and have read two chapters so far .. it starts very basic and is off course not aimed at the experienced 2+2'er. (and so therefore there is a tiny camel to shallow when faced with language that is obviously aimed at much weaker players and in part serves a function of selling the authors/book to these players)

But it leaves a nice impression, seems to be very thorough! and a good primer in shorthanded lhe.

First impression is that it is highly recommended (this is not a review, just a first impression)

But I've always been a sucker for something that is organized and just a stew of random inputs in a creative order (hint hint)

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]