Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Default I think I screwed up with these jacks

I feel stupid about the way I played this hand.

The opponent is 13/8 over less than 40 hands.

I almost always reraise preflop with JJ. Don't ask me where I got 4,000. After I did it, I was like, "WTF, that's basically a min-raise!" I hate min raises and I never do it. If I was going to raise, I think I should have popped it to 5,000 at least.

When he shoved, I just gave him credit for one of the huge pairs and mucked it.

In retrospect, I think calling might have been the right move. There are 7 people yet to act behind us that could potentially wake up with monsters. Furthermore, I think maybe his UTG raise deserved enough respect for me to just call.

As an added bonus, maybe my call encourages a couple more callers. Then I flop a set and win a monster pot. Who knows? I screwed up.

Thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 300/600 Blinds, 75 Ante, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG: 12,625
Hero (UTG+1): 19,638
MP1: 8,421
MP2: 29,997
CO: 9,424
BTN: 6,342
SB: 10,601
BB: 7,349

Pre-Flop: (1,500) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
<font color="red">UTG raises to 1,800</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to 4,000</font>, 6 folds, <font color="red">UTG raises to 12,550 and is All-In</font>, Hero folds
Old 11-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: I think I screwed up with these jacks

i would probably flatcall here especially as u have noted that he is very tight.
folding to the 4bet shove is good.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Flat call seems better here because if UTG is strong as he represents JJ is not enough to call
Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Flat call even though 13/8 is only over 40 hands.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 AM

I don't mind the reraise preflop, but your raise size puts you in an awkward spot.

With his stack size, you should decide before you raise if you are willing to put him all in or not.
If yes, reraise him to ~5400 and a call of a 4bet shove by villain is automatic.
If no, just flat call.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 AM

hollywade,

i think this is quite standard, but JJ is really hard to play in these positions, as most ways are only slightly +EV.

Stack sizes make it complicated here.

I think you have to raise, cause with flat-calling you will most times be in a multiway pot and have to mine for a set - but JJ are too strong therefore. I think flat-calling with TT is fine though.

Your reraise ammount is good, as you can lay the hand down against a 4-bet and your stack remains intact. Your stack is much too large to shove this.

And laying down against the 4-bet (against a tight UTG-raise) is of course right.

But as often with JJ it's close.

I like your line most.
Calling and mining for a set might be ok, but you have to be aware of a squeezer behind you.
If villain is a tight straight-forward player also folding is not a bad choice, as you don't loose much value imo.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 AM

I think I'd just flat call here.. but your raise size is fine, IF u wanna fold to a 4-bet.. i wouldn't do it.. as stated, I'd probably either raise an amount that comitts me to call his shove or flat call here.. with JJ against a 13/8 UTG raiser, I don't feel good enough calling a 4-bet.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 AM

if villian is tight youre not gonna make much money out of this hand unless you hit youre set and theres an Ace on the flop or unless villain has overpair to J hi board

so i like a raise
folding to the 4bet is good
and the raise is fine aswell 45000-5000 is better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost always reraise preflop with JJ. Don't ask me where I got 4,000. After I did it, I was like, "WTF, that's basically a min-raise!" I hate min raises and I never do it. If I was going to raise, I think I should have popped it to 5,000 at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the size of the raise you should question, the question is should you haveshoved instead of putting 33% of your stack in.

[ QUOTE ]
When he shoved, I just gave him credit for one of the huge pairs and mucked it.

In retrospect, I think calling might have been the right move. There are 7 people yet to act behind us that could potentially wake up with monsters. Furthermore, I think maybe his UTG raise deserved enough respect for me to just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with calling. As played...AK has to be considered. How has your play been? If we've been as tight as he has, then I consider laying it down. If we've been all over the map I'm more liable to call and race since we now have odds to call against two overs or may well have him 80/20.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Raising to 1/3 effective stacks &amp; folding (getting over 2:1) is never ever good. Don't do it. Ever. There maybe the very rare exception, but don't do it.
Shoving &amp; raise/calling are not very profitable against his tight range. So flatcall.
As played I probably call because your 36% against QQ+,AK, but just don't ever put yourself in a position when you have to consider folding getting 2:1 preflop (unless a player who hadn't acted before joins in the fun).