Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

Default $150 Live Tourny - KK UTG facing turn raise on 3 flush board

So, I was playing at the $150 noon tourny at the Venetian. Starting stack was T7500. This is the first hand after the first break. My table just broke, so I am at a new table with no reads on anyone. I have about T19000 at this point, and I am UTG with the blinds at T100/T200 with a T25 ante. Only about 6 or 7 people out of the 10 made it back for the first hand. The only thing I could tell about the Villain in this hand is that he did not appear to know what he was doing, and he had a ton of chips (ie I was covered)

Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG

Hero raises to T1000 (my thought here was I wanted it to look like I was stealing to get a call)

folds to SB who calls T900

BB folds

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets T2000, SB calls

Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets T5000, SB raises to T10000

At this point, I am still about T11000 behind if I fold, but with the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] as a potential back-up, I wasn't really sure what to do. Looking back at it, I still can't figure out what to do.

Any/all thoughts/criticisms would be appreciated, this one has really perplexed me.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: $150 Live Tourny - KK UTG facing turn raise on 3 flush board

i woulda checked the turn. also i dont think 5x UTG looks weak. ap i fold. you are deep enough that you can run over this table and no reason to pick this spot which i see as marginal at best.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i woulda checked the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 PM

Ditto on chekcing the turn. However, as played, I'm ready to push as I think you're waaaay ahead.

That little min-raise is feeling you out, not value betting. Probably AQ or KQ. Doubt QJ, 99, or 22 would call PF. Could be QQ/JJ but I think they would CR the flop with the flush draw. I'm only worried about A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 PM

Raise 3x pre flop which is going to make your bets on all streets much smaller. Very coordinated bored so you have to fire 3/4-1 psb on the flop, you have a ton of outs after the turn and you have showdown value. Check turn as played.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 PM

I agree with Off's logic. Checking the turn, knowing that you can take the t3000 hit to learn more information, and adjust to what the river brings. You can check behind your opponent on the river, assuming he checks, to get a look at his cards.

Another way to look at it is...

Your bet on the flop states that you have a good piece of the flop. If your opponent thinks he currently has a better piece of the flop, but not as good as the current draw possibility on the board, they may reraise here to take a draw away. If they call, as they did here, they are on a draw a large percentage of the time.

Another thing to consider (loosely taken from PNLv1) is the stack to pot ratio. Before the flop, the pot was (assuming full 10-player table) 2450. With you being covered, your SPR is ~7.75 (19000/2450). Ideally, for a TPTK hand, which is the hand you will most likely flop with KK, you'd like this number to be ~4.5. The idea is that, on an appropriate flop, you'd like to get all the chips in the middle. It is easier to do the lower the SPR is.

Because you are new to this table and have no reads, you may need to take Villain's bet as gospel until evidence proves otherwise. On this board, it is necessary to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible. Thus, I believe the flop bet is too high. A bet of 2/3xP will tell you the same thing as your 4/5xP bet. Proceed based on Villain's reaction.

As played, a check on the turn is more prudent, with a value bet on a check, or a call/raise for value if Villian bets on the river if it blanks.