Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Drunk guys at a bar trying to pick a fight with me on a first date

So I go to a bar last night to meet a girl I met while out the previous week, basically our first date. We're at a college-aged bar (both of us are a few years out), and there are plenty of college kids around getting drunk on a Thursday night.

I grab a seat next to her (she's on my left) at the bar and start talking to her when a drunk college-aged guy standing to my right starts trying to talk to me, asking me what year I'm in school, what I'm studying, etc., but he's barely incoherent and has no point to the conversation. I try to explain to him that I'm talking to someone else, but he doesn't seem to get it, and seems genuinely upset that I'm blowing him off. "Dude, I'm JUST trying to be friendly," he says, oblivious to the fact that I'm here with someone else. I turn away from him to talk to the girl again, and a few minutes later he puts his bar tab check in front of me and yells to the bartender, "he'll take care of this for me." I look at him in bewilderment, and basically toss it back in front of him and ask him to leave me alone. He pushes it in front of me again, and at this point is basically hanging over me with his elbow almost nudging me off my stool. I ask him one more time to leave me alone, and he says, "DUDE, I was JUST trying to be funny." He seems completely offended by the fact that I don't want to talk to him. Eventually I manage to ignore him to the point where he goes back to talking to his other drunk buddies.

Fast forward to about 45 min. later (and multiple rounds of tequila shots for the rowdy guys in the corner), the girl and I are in our same seats, but a friend of the drunk dude is now sitting on my left. He starts nudging me on the elbow, and I turn around. He stares at me and says, "Dude, I just want you to know, I think it's a good idea if you leave. My friends are getting more drunk and belligerent, so it's JUST a good idea. You get my drift?"

At this point, the girl and I had already paid our tab and were planning on leaving anyway, and I look at him and tell him we were already on our way. He repeats, "no, I don't think you understand. It's JUST a good idea for you if you leave right now. Do you understand me loud and clear?"

Now, it's obvious the first dude, feeling snubbed by me earlier, is looking to rile him and his friends up for some kind of conflict with me, to the point where I'm now getting physically threatened. They have 4 guys, most of whom are my size or slightly bigger, but I'm on a first date with this girl and trying to balancing handling the situation in a civil way without looking like a chump in front of her.

Do I just walk away? Say something to them again? Say something to a bartender or management?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Drunk guys at a bar trying to pick a fight with me on a first date

Your options are between talking to a bouncer or something and leaving. I don't see how you can do anything else.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 PM

you paid... you were leaving...

leave?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I just walk away? Say something to them again? Say something to a bartender or management?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you ever want a second date w/ this girl you handle this yourself.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM

I don't see how leaving makes you look like a pussy here, and the other options definately suck.

FWIW, you pretty much deserved this for going to a college bar on a Thursday night for a first date.

Give them the girl and run for your life...

Leave, show the girl that you know the proper way to handle a bar fight with a drunken frat boy is to avoid it. If that makes you a chump in her eyes because you didn't beat on some chump and left before the situation got out of hand then she is a bitch, and you can do better.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM

I was in a situation like this not too long ago, for the record the second guy who came up to you, was probably trying to babysit his friendss a little and avoid a fight, but he didnt want to lose face. Anyways, same type of thing, the girl I was with and me were talkign at the bar, some guy kept bothering us, spilled some of his drink on us etc, what can you do though? you dont want to look like an [censored] in front of the girl, so, she goes up to sing kareoke, or something ( i forget), and the guy is still standing there, so I discretely took a napkin/coaster holder, and banged up his fingers with it, and then ahd the bartender get the bouncers to throw him out, its amazing what a 20$ will do to get people on your side. In your situation, Id walk her outside, then say you forgot your card run back in, and bang the guy up, then walk out, she wont know what happened.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Stop going to "college-aged bars" for 1st dates.

-Al