Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Your five favorite games of all time?

Replying without reading any of the rest of the thread.

5) Betrayal at Krondor (PC). Fascinating RPG set in the universe of Raymond E. Feist's books. Groundbreaking in a lot of ways. Not the best graphics in the world, but a very strong story. I spent an insane amount of time on this game.

4) Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (PC). The original was great, but the sequel improved on every aspect of it. Some the best graphics ever to go into a 2D engine. Fluid interface. Deep gameplay. Great game.

3) Final Fantasy VI (SNES): AKA Final Fantasy III for its American release. Fantastic RPG. I haven't cared overmuch for the more recent incarnations of the Final Fantasy series, but this one got it right.

2) Counter-Strike (PC): Spent so much time on this game, it was ridiculous. Frustrating at first, when you were getting killed and not really contributing to your team, but after the first time I stepped onto a server, got 2x as many kills as deaths, and realized that I was a difference-maker as far as how the games were going, I was hooked.

1) Warcraft II (PC). Forget Starcraft (though it would make my top 10). Warcraft 2 was the definitive RTS that defined the genre, setting its center-of-gravity on Internet multiplayer (via the Kali service, which got hundreds of thousands of subscribers) and indeed paving the way for much of what was possible with Internet gaming. I spent about 3 years doing very little video gaming outside of this game, and as the communities evolved, so did the strategies, for years and years; with the possible exception of Starcraft, no game went through as much consistent change in its top-tier strategy, which helped to keep it very dynamic. In my mind the greatest computer game of all time.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Gran Turismo 1
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
GTA San Andreas
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM

1. Warcraft 2 - Couldn't agree more with Shaffer, the evolving strategies are what set this game far apart from the rest. These new games all suck ass (including Starcraft, god that game sucked), just build 50 million guys and bum rush, there was so much strategy in this game it's not even funny. I'm an old school Kali guy (BoozeCans).

2. Counterstrike - This game is just awesome.

3. Mike Tyson's Punchout - I still play this a lot.

4. X-Com: UFO Defense - Fun as hell.

5. Civilization 4 - This game rocks, they need to come out with a new civ quick
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM

I felt it necessary to make another post to emphasize how much starcraft sucks ass. This game is absolutely no fun at all. What a horrible, horrible game. It's so stupid, god it sucks. Warcraft 3 sucks ass too. The great thing about war2 was being able to wall in/play water maps.

Anyway, honorable mention:
Ultima Underworld/Ultima 7
Zelda (NES and SNES), by the way the zelda for nintendo 64 sucks ass too, what a boring, boring game spend 2 hours walking around doing nothing.
Super Mario bros (THE FIRST ONE) - this game is hard as hell man, trying to get buy the turtle right before the last boss is hard as hell! you practically have to have fire balls to beat this guy)

By the way, I've TKOed tyson in the second round before, I hear a lot of people saying it's not possible, but it is. When he starts blinking, u have to hit him at exactly the right time and he will go down instead of just giving you a star.

sorry to bore you people but i am bored as hell at work myself
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM

Kind've all over the place here, but ...

1) Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for NES. First game I played on the Christmas I got it from 'Santa' when I was about 10. I'll never forget the first time I beat Tyson. A couple of summers ago, I won some money when I walked into a college house, and the guys who lived there bet me I couldn't KO Tyson on the first try.

2) Ms. Pac Man. Never gets old. Still play it at the movie theater and at home when I get the chance.

3) Ninja Gaiden. And all-summer-long contest to finish first between me and my best friend growing up.

4) Tiger Woods, for PS2 and PS3. Can spend hours upon hours with this game. Made me a fan of golf again.

5) Madden series, PS. Again, never gets old. Loved it when the fantasy draft franchise mode was introduced.

Honorable mentions: Super Mario Brothers orig., FIFA 1998, Donkey Kong Jr., Police Trainer, Road Blasters.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Wanted to make my list before I read others' ... and now that I have, I can't BELIEVE I forgot Blades of Steel, Double Dribble, Super Mario Kart, and Goldeneye.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 PM

1. Civilization Series (also Sid Meiers Colonization) - PC
2. RBI Baseball 3 - NES
3. Command and Conquer (original and Red Alert) - PC
4. Quake II - PC
5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater I, II - Dreamcast

Picking 5 is impossible.. Like other people have mentioned before if you asked me this 100 times you'd probably get 100 different answers.. gotta love reminiscing about the days of old though!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM

lol i never play videogames anymore

but favorites all time?

Castles of Doctor Creep (c64)
Bubble Bobble
the first GTA
i also loved the old sierra and lucas arts adventures.

i only like old games, new games i don't like, all realistic and stuff, but no new original idea's

nothing beats pacman or pong, hehe. though they are not in my favorites list
Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 AM

Just out of curiousity, when you guys say Super Mario Bros (the original) do you just mean the 1st NES Super Mario or the original arcade Super Mario that is nothing like the mario bros games that most people know?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 AM

Definitely a hard list to make. I'm now going to make it.

1. Ultima Online

<font color="blue">I think someone had this as their number one as well... Probably because it was the most beautiful MMORPG ever made. I only played on the pay servers for a brief amount of time before switching to the free public servers such as Novus Opiate, and The Dark Side. Those were the best gaming years I ever have, and I still long for a game to be made that even comes CLOSE to how sweet that game was. UO was truly ahead of its time. </font>

2. Super Smash Bros/Goldeneye (Multiplayer obv)

<font color="blue">I mean cmon, these games are [censored] fun for hours and don't get old. </font>

3. Halo 2 online

<font color="blue">Best FPS for any console hands down. </font>

4. Madden 04-06
<font color="blue">These were the years where the Madden games really started to shine imo (Although I think I started playing them whenever they first came out for ps2), but my friends and I have had so many countless battles, and the game actually turned me into a huge football fan. </font>

5. Starcraft
<font color="blue">The best RTS game ever. So [censored] balanced, so much fun. UMS are sweet as well. Can't wait for the second one.</font>