Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Default NY Times: Mormon Candidate Braces for Religion as Issue

Post by troymclr, February 8, 2007:

[ QUOTE ]
[The stories about President Obama's church are] an underhanded smear in that no other presidential cannidates (to my knowledge) have had their respective Churches put in the spot light.

[/ QUOTE ]

The following story appeared in The New York Times the same day you made your post. Enjoy.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 7--As he begins campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination, Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, is facing a threshold issue: Will his religion--he is a Mormon--be a big obstacle to winning the White House?

Polls show a substantial number of Americans will not vote for a Mormon for president. The religion is viewed with suspicion by Christian conservatives, a vital part of the Republicans’ primary base.

Mr. Romney’s advisers acknowledged that popular misconceptions about Mormonism--as well as questions about whether Mormons are beholden to their church’s leaders on public policy--could give his opponents ammunition in the wide-open fight among Republicans to become the consensus candidate of social conservatives.

Mr. Romney, in an extended interview on the subject as he drove through South Carolina last week, expressed confidence that he could quell concerns about his faith, pointing to his own experience winning in Massachusetts. He said he shared with many Americans the bafflement over obsolete Mormon practices like polygamy--he described it as “bizarre”--and disputed the argument that his faith would require him to be loyal to his church before his country.

“People have interest early on in your religion and any similar element of your background,” he said. “But as soon as they begin to watch you on TV and see the debates and hear you talking about issues, they are overwhelmingly concerned with your vision of the future and the leadership skills that you can bring to bear.”

Still, Mr. Romney is taking no chances. He has set up a meeting this month in Florida with 100 ministers and religious broadcasters. That gathering follows what was by all accounts a successful meeting at his home last fall with evangelical leaders, including the Rev. Jerry Falwell; the Rev. Franklin Graham, who is a son of the Rev. Billy Graham; and Paula White, a popular preacher.

Mr. Romney said he was giving strong consideration to a public address about his faith and political views, modeled after the one John F. Kennedy gave in 1960 in the face of a wave of concern about his being a Roman Catholic.

Mr. Romney’s aides said he had closely studied Kennedy’s speech in trying to measure how to navigate the task of becoming the nation’s first Mormon president, and he has consulted other Mormon elected leaders, including Senator Orrin G. Hatch, Republican of Utah, about how to proceed.

Mr. Romney appears to be making some headway. Several prominent evangelical leaders said that, after meeting him, they had grown sufficiently comfortable with the notion of Mr. Romney as president to overcome any concerns they might have about his religion.

On a pragmatic level, some said that Mr. Romney--despite questions among conservatives about his shifting views on abortion and gay rights--struck them as the Republican candidate best able to win and carry their social conservative agenda to the White House.

“There’s this growing acceptance of this idea that Mitt Romney may well be and is our best candidate,” said Jay Sekulow, the chief counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice, a conservative legal advocacy group, and a prominent host on Christian radio.

Mark DeMoss, an evangelical public relations consultant who represents many conservative Christian groups, said it was “more important to me that a candidate shares my values than my faith,” adding, “And if I look at it this way, Mr. Romney would be my top choice.”

Mormons consider themselves to be Christians, but some beliefs central to Mormons are regarded by other churches as heretical. For example, Mormons have three books of Scripture other than the Bible, including the Book of Mormon, which Mormons believe was translated from golden plates discovered in 1827 by Joseph Smith Jr., the church’s founder and first prophet.

Mormons believe that Smith rescued Christianity from apostasy and restored the church to what was envisioned in the New Testament--but these doctrines are beyond the pale for most Christian churches.

Beyond that, there are perceptions among some people regarding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as the church is formally known, that account for at least some of the public unease: that Mormons still practice polygamy (the church renounced polygamy in 1890), that it is more of a cult than a religion and that its members take political direction from the church’s leaders.

Several Republicans said such perceptions could be a problem for Mr. Romney, especially in the South, which has had a disproportionate influence in selecting Republican presidential nominees.

Gloria A. Haskins, a state representative from South Carolina who is supporting Senator John McCain for the Republican nomination, said discussions with her constituents in Greenville, an evangelical stronghold, convinced her that a Mormon like Mr. Romney could not win a Republican primary in her state. South Carolina has one of the earliest, and most critical, primaries next year.

“From what I hear in my district, it is very doubtful,” Ms. Haskins said. “This is South Carolina. We’re very mainstream, evangelical, Christian, conservative. It will come up. In this of all states, it will come up.”

But Katon Dawson, the state Republican chairman, said he thought Mr. Romney had made significant progress in dealing with those concerns. “I have heard him on his personal faith and on his character and conviction and the love for his country,” Mr. Dawson said. “I have all confidence that he will be able to answer those questions, whether they be in negative ads against him or in forums or in debates.”

Mr. Romney’s candidacy has stirred discussion about faith and the White House unlike any since Kennedy, including a remarkable debate that unfolded recently in The New Republic. Damon Linker, a critic of the influence of Christian conservatism on politics, described Mormonism as a “theologically unstable, and thus politically perilous, religion.”

The article brought a stinging rebuttal in the same publication from Richard Lyman Bushman, a Mormon who is a history professor at Columbia University, and who said Mr. Linker’s arguments had “no grounding in reality.”

Mr. Romney is not the first Mormon to seek a presidential nomination, but by every indication he has the best chance yet of being in the general election next year. His father, George Romney, was a candidate in 1968, but his campaign collapsed before he ever had to deal seriously with questions about religion.

Senator Hatch said his own candidacy in 2000, which was something of a long shot, was to “knock down prejudice against my faith.”

“There’s a lot of prejudice out there,” Mr. Hatch said. “We’ve come a long way, but there are still many people around the country who consider the Mormon faith a cult.”

But if Mr. Romney has made progress with evangelicals, he appears to face a larger challenge in dispelling apprehensions among the public at large. A national poll by The Los Angeles Times and Bloomberg News last June found 37 percent said they would not vote for a Mormon for president.

Mr. Romney offered assurances that seemed to reflect what Kennedy told the nation in discussing his Catholicism some 50 years ago. Mr. Romney said the requirements of his faith would never overcome his political obligations. He pointed out that in Massachusetts, he had signed laws allowing stores to sell alcohol on Sundays, even though he was prohibited by his faith from drinking, and to expand the state lottery, though Mormons are forbidden to gamble. He also noted that Mormons are not exclusively Republicans, pointing to Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic majority leader.

“There’s no church-directed view,” Mr. Romney said. “How can you have Harry Reid on one side and Orrin Hatch on the other without recognizing that the church doesn’t direct political views? I very clearly subscribe to Abraham Lincoln’s view of America’s political religion. And that is when you take the oath of office, your responsibility is to the nation, and that is first and foremost.”

He said he was not concerned about the resistance in the polls. “If you did a poll and said: ‘Could a divorced actor be elected as president? Would you vote for a divorced actor as president?’ my guess is 70 percent would say no. But then they saw Ronald Reagan. They heard him. They heard his vision. They heard his experience. They said: ‘I like Ronald Reagan. I’m voting for him.’”

END
Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: NY Times: Mormon Candidate Braces for Religion as Issue

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Romney’s candidacy has stirred discussion about faith and the White House unlike any since Kennedy, including a remarkable debate that unfolded recently in The New Republic. Damon Linker, a critic of the influence of Christian conservatism on politics, described Mormonism as a “theologically unstable, and thus politically perilous, religion.”

The article brought a stinging rebuttal in the same publication from Richard Lyman Bushman, a Mormon who is a history professor at Columbia University, and who said Mr. Linker’s arguments had “no grounding in reality.”

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several liberals that have said similar things about Romney & Mormonism lately. It's one of the all-time LAWLZ how by omission they must apparently just LURV the Pope's positions on sex, birth control, and gays, and consider Catholicism (or Evangelicalism or Wahabism, ftm) a "theologically stable" religion.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 PM

The question of his loyalties is actually much more of a concern with Romney than with a catholic or Obama (who is a terrible candidate for plenty of other reasons, no need to read his church's embarassing screed).

Mormons really do take direction from their prophet on what to think, how to think, and how to conduct their daily lives in many aspects. They have a bi-annual "general conference" where he hands out new directives on how to live. The entire church's population watches it on a satellite feed. I'm not making this up. If you are at all interested in whether or not Romney's mormonism matters I would try to find copies of the last few mormon "general conferences" and watch them.

They also subscribe seriously to an eschatology that is at least as disturbing as the evangelicals' (Bush), and look where that's gotten us with Bush, having a president who believes in the end of the world and the return of jesus. You want any improvement in our foreign relations, esp middle eastern, do not vote for Romney.

He believes in prophetic, climactic final battles that are soon to occur in the middle east. He believes his prophet is the one true voice of god on this earth and that whatever the man says is actually inspired by direct communication with god. He really believes that.

Also, at one point his religion's secret temple ceremonies required each mormon to swear an oath to work to destroy the united states. This was later removed eventually due to outside pressure. But a mormon's loyalties are first to the prophet, then to the country.

The only exception is if he's a jack mormon who doesn't really take it seriously but then, that speaks to a whole host of other reasons not to vote for him.

Either way, he's a terrible candidate for president JUST based on the fact that he's mormon.

natedogg
Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Nate, based on Romney's public record, I'm not sure you can say he's a hardcore ideologue regardless of his religion. He was previously was a relatively Liberal Republican, but in the last year, he has moved to the right to gear up for the primary campaign. I honestly don't know what the tenents of Mormonism are, but I would think that a fervent believer wouldn't be so eager to flip flop.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He believes in prophetic, climactic final battles that are soon to occur in the middle east

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to point out that there are many reasons besides prophecy to think that such developments are not unlikely.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate, based on Romney's public record, I'm not sure you can say he's a hardcore ideologue regardless of his religion. He was previously was a relatively Liberal Republican, but in the last year, he has moved to the right to gear up for the primary campaign. I honestly don't know what the tenents of Mormonism are, but I would think that a fervent believer wouldn't be so eager to flip flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's really just a typical politician who will flipflop for votes then that also makes him a terrible candidate. That was pretty much my point.

I don't see anything good about this guy and it mostly stems from him being mormon. Either he's a religious wacko whose loyalties will be compromised by his faith in his prophet (and his outrageous worldviews) or he's dishonest.

natedogg