Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Default losing big pots

nl and pl holdem and omaha are all about big bets.
when i win big pots i get all warm and happy inside and spend money frivilously for the entire week

when i lose big pots, i get angry, depressed, and punch holes in wall, don't act nicely to people, and occasionally back out of flippaments.

when i slowly am being grinded away at by better players, i dont mind or notice as much so i wont tilt but as soon as i lose two big pots in a close period of time, i snap

can people make lists of things they do to avoid tilt? other than practicing avoidance of poker in the first place that is
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: losing big pots

Well I tilt pretty bad when I lose big pots (which led to my chat being banned for 1 month) and I actually have dealt with tilt a lot better by not being able to type. I think when I would get into those "chat wars" it would only intensify my anger and now it is easier to shrug it off.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 AM

pffffft 1 month

i am permabanned on stars and ftp
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 AM

you play a pretty different mix of limits, do you only tilt at the upper limits or does losing at 10/20 feel the same?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 AM

also I didn't even know FTP did chat bans..just listening to matusow chat you would think they don't care too much. How many bans you get before its permanent?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:29 AM

I am unable to not get angry when I lose 2-3 big pots in a row. I usually start to tilt by spewing by raising/3betting lighter which can't always be bad

I like to play SNGs when I tilt, but usualy, there are none that I want to play that fit my taste so I'll just tilt on cash games. Don't go play limit, that is the easiest way to blow off money
Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 AM

Most of the time Id say go F urself grim but I got that outa my system in ur posts that u made in the last few days. Really the easiest ways to get rid of all these negative feelings is to do certain mental exercises that help u release such as affirmations, the sedona method, the silva method, meditation which the silva method kinda dives into. Id suggest hitting ur local bookstore or just googling this topic. Basically ur gonna have to study how the mind works and the certain exercises u can calm it down. and stop punching the walls dude they didnt do anything wrong
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM

I have a very potty mouth when I am beaten. I've never been banned despite ever more so inventive uses of the c-word, possibly because I play US-banned sites so they are pretty desperate for any player.

My offensive behavior tends to be worse in 2-outer beatings and winning grudge calls. I'll stick around for a while to make my point as clear as possible.

Interesting that i find this post after I believe the worst 24-hours of poker in my three-year experience. I honestly don't know how I didn't just blow away my BR but managed to keep it together despite telling more than a few players exactly what I thought they did with their free time.

If ever a site flipped a switch on me, it was yesterday.

My point in all this is that I avoided meltdown by having weights and push up bar nearby - i burn off the anger this way - so bad beats/bad play all add up to looking better on the beach.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Im really surprised I don't have my chat banned. I bitch and moan something awful. I'm trying to work on it, but I still do it.

I lost every big pot I played last night, and thank goodness full tilts servers went down or I would have tilted off more money than I did.

I just try to remember what I've read about buddhism and from reading zen and the art of poker. It's not personal, it's a never-ending game and desire creates suffering. I know it's damn hard to try and stay in the moment, but its the best way to keep from spewing.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:08 PM

I rip the bong. Works every time.