Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 03:37 AM

Default I know you\'re lying! - Human Behavior and Lie Detection

I just finished reading a book on human behavior and lie detection.

Some interesting concepts from the reading -

Hands near mouth
Hands Clenched (not open), Arms Crossed, Legs Tucked In
Placement of object (to form a pseudo-barrier) between him/her and you
Lack of Eye Contact
Creation of fictitious belief system ("You know I would never lie to you")
Uncomfortable with any silence - Must continue speaking until a verbal confirmation

What are your tell tale signs of someone lying to you?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: I know you\'re lying! - Human Behavior and Lie Detection

I do a lot of these when I'm telling the truth.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're lying [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM

i can't imagine crossing my arms when i'm lying. i usually only do that when i'm fairly comfortable. the rest are mostly true.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM

All you have to do is figure out his email and voicemail passwords, hack into his aim logs, and install a key-logger on his computer. BAM, you always know when he is lying!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is figure out his email and voicemail passwords, hack into his aim logs, and install a key-logger on his computer. BAM, you always know when he is lying!

[/ QUOTE ]

Stalker! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 AM

I want to add:

They touch their nose after they lie. I read that your nose gets a subtle tingly feeling, and you subconsiously touch it when you lie or get anxious.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:01 PM

I wrote a post on this a while back. There are a lot of misconceptions about lie detection so I did a lot of research and here's what I came up with. This is copy and pasted:

Lie Detection
We all lie. Guys tell their girlfriends they don't look fat in a dress. Girls tell their boyfriends that they are the best they've ever had in bed. Most lies are harmless. In fact, they usually prevent someone from getting hurt. Truth be told, most of us wouldn't want to know when the people that are important to us are lying. I'm not one of those people. I want to know the truth.

Now, while recognizing tells and lie detection seem similar, they are actually quite different. The physical cues that poker players rely on are very weak indications in lie detection (except pupil dilation). Anyway, there is a lot of misinformation available on the internet and I thought I'd clear some thing up. For example, when you search Google for "lie detection", it brings up a lot of articles that focus on eye movements. They are, well...wrong. There is very little scientific evidence for many of the arguments presented in those "articles".

Now lie detection is by no means an accurate science. Lie detector machines that measure your pulse and skin conductance (sweat) are estimated to be only about 80% accurate. By the way, if you bite your tongue, press your toes to the floor, or count backwards by sevens during the base questions [i.e., Are you a human?, Did you ever fly to Saturn?, etc.] the lie detector would lose a lot of its accuracy. Humans, in contrast, are only 50% accurate. In other words, we detect lies no better than chance would predict. These cues are not foolproof, but they will make you somewhat more accurate, especially if you know the person who you suspect might be lying to you.

Content cues:
1. Was the story plausible and logical? Did s/he start talking about stuff that wasn't really relevant? (weak cue)
Was the story direct and personal? Did s/he rely mostly on a third-person perspective? (strong cue)
Did s/he ever admit a lack of memory or spontaneously correct their story? (medium cue)
If the response is “Yes”, it is less likely to be a lie.

Physical cues:
Presses lips more than usual? (weak cue)
Raised chin? (weak cue) [On a slight side note: a raised chin is a symbol of assertiveness, in this case, much like a poker tell, strong = weak]
Pupil dilated? (medium cue)
Higher pitch? (weak cue)
If the response is “Yes”, it is more likely to be a lie.

Temperament Cues:
Not cooperative? (strong cue)
Nervous? (weak cue)
If the response is “Yes”, it is more likely to be a lie.

Notice that non of these cues mention anything about fidgeting or eye movements, although that's usually what's portrayed on TV in the typical criminal interrogation room. These cues are based on a meta-analysis of hundreds of individual studies (Cues to Deception, 2003, DePaulo, Malone, Lindsay, Muhlenbruck, Charlton, & Cooper).

Anyway, this post is basically a rough draft of an article I hope to see published in a mainstream psychology magazine. I sent the idea to an editor so we'll see how that goes. Wish me luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Content cues:
1. Was the story plausible and logical? Did s/he start talking about stuff that wasn't really relevant? (weak cue)
Was the story direct and personal? Did s/he rely mostly on a third-person perspective? (strong cue)
Did s/he ever admit a lack of memory or spontaneously correct their story? (medium cue)
If the response is “Yes”, it is less likely to be a lie.

[/ QUOTE ]is it just me or do these set of questions in context with yes's and no's not make sense at all?