Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Would you save 10 million people?

to those saying no and citing compassion for family members/friends but not for 10 million randoms, what is so special about someone you know compared to someone you don't? what if it was a 2nd cousin or maybe 4th cousin removed?

what will drive you to give up your life for you sister or mother but say [censored] off to 10 million people that you could save? how does that make any sense?

imagine you are standing up on a platform over a canyon and they had the 10 million people all there ready to be driven over the edge. they are asking you if you will save them or not and you say hell no and watch them all die. who the hell would do that? 10 million people... come on.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:51 PM

I have no idea how anyone can answer yes to this, unless you're like 85 years old or grimstarr.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who the hell would do that? 10 million people... come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people
Old 09-16-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what if it was a 2nd cousin or maybe 4th cousin removed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it sucks to be them.

[ QUOTE ]
what will drive you to give up your life for you sister or mother but say [censored] off to 10 million people

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that my mother, father, and sisters have been the most significant people in my life for all of it (not quite all for the sisters, because I am the oldest) and I would not have a problem with expressing my gratitude by dying so they could live.

What have the 10 million random people done for me? Are they even Americans or part of some other civilized country that will benefit me somehow in the future?

[ QUOTE ]
imagine you are standing up on a platform over a canyon and they had the 10 million people all there ready to be driven over the edge. they are asking you if you will save them or not and you say hell no and watch them all die. who the hell would do that? 10 million people... come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so ridiculous.

Of course I wouldn't watch.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 PM

Besides... if God won't save the 10 million people, why should I? Unlike me, He doesn't have to die. They're all yours big fella.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that my mother, father, and sisters have been the most significant people in my life for all of it (not quite all for the sisters, because I am the oldest) and I would not have a problem with expressing my gratitude by dying so they could live.

What have the 10 million random people done for me? Are they even Americans or part of some other civilized country that will benefit me somehow in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really the fact that they've "done something" for you. if you have a newborn baby, it hasn't done anything for you but you'd save it. what's the real reason.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The second choice is, given the same set circumstances, would you still save them if it meant giving up your own life, and going down in history as being a mass murderer and traitor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone actually care about how they would be remembered in history? The people that matter would know you werent a murderer. Why does it matter what anyone else thinks? You'd be dead.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it really the fact that they've "done something" for you. if you have a newborn baby, it hasn't done anything for you but you'd save it. what's the real reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I would love my baby and it would be my duty as a parent to protect it with my life if I had to.

I do not have any love for 10 million random strangers, nor do I feel any sense of duty to go on a suicide mission to protect them.

Would I risk my life to save them? Sure... but I won't walk into certain death.

I've been very polite and answered your questions. Now I would like for you to answer mine.

Why would YOU sacrifice your life, the only life you will ever have, and leave all of your loved ones behind, to save a bunch of people who have never and will possibly never influence your life or the life of anyone you ever have or ever will be a part of?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:17 PM

btw this topic has been posted a few times before. most people wouldn't give up their own lives.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I would love my baby and it would be my duty as a parent to protect it with my life if I had to.

I do not have any love for 10 million random strangers, nor do I feel any sense of duty to go on a suicide mission to protect them.

Would I risk my life to save them? Sure... but I won't walk into certain death.

I've been very polite and answered your questions. Now I would like for you to answer mine.

Why would YOU sacrifice your life, the only life you will ever have, and leave all of your loved ones behind, to save a bunch of people who have never and will possibly never influence your life or the life of anyone you ever have or ever will be a part of?

[/ QUOTE ]

because in theory i don't think i'm more important than anyone else. in practice of course it doesn't always work out this way. but idealy i don't think that.