Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 04:56 PM

Default FILM REVIEW: Don\'t Look Now

Don't Look Now requested by JBB

This is a weird little number, made in 1973 and starring Donald Sutherland (father of the toughest man on the planet) and Julie Christie. They play a married couple whose daughter was drowned, and they are still grieving (I guess for parents, that's never going to end, is it.). They go to Venice where Sutherland is working on restoring a church, and the wife encounters two strange, old sisters who appear to be psychic, and have something to say about the daughter, but Sutherland is having his own psychic episodes it seems...

Strange, very atmospheric movie, with a set of scenes and shots that are startling, disconcerting, creepy and finally hard to do anything about except watch and feel more and more uncomfortable and jarred by what may be happening. It's well shot and shows Venice as beautiful, if perhaps a little cold and icy to visitors. The characters too seem disorientated and a little detached and elsewhere, and that adds to building up the oddness and strangeness you feel watching this. The characters also remind me of some of the great, strange Hitchcockian characters (Norman Bates for example), but I can't pinpoint why that is specifically, it's just a feeling.

It must be said, I think this is a movie that you need to either be in the mood for, or be relaxed and open for anything, or you'll probably find it a little irritating and even dull - but there are rewards here for a little patience and acceptance...

Overall, I liked it a lot, and would recommend it to anyone who wants something odd, but not too odd. It's not Spielberg say, but it's not David Lynch either. Oh, and did I mention there's a hot sex scene with Julie Christie? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

OVERALL: 3

REWATCHABILITY: Once a year or two. Suitable for old teens up, if you're comfortable with them watching a mainstream sex scene.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Previous Reviews in: OOT Film Repository
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: Don\'t Look Now

I love this movie....and I love Nicolas Roeg, period. One of my favorites of his is "Walkabout."
Old 02-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Seeing Donald Sutherland naked was a very high price to pay for watching this movie. The sex scene was scandalous at the time, which evolved into perhaps a minor specialty for Julie, but a little too unnecessarily prolonged for my tastes. At least with Sutherland involved.

I've watched this movie only a few times, and find it enjoyable but confusing and finally a bit contrived. But the atmosphere is indeed very cool, and there's one scene in there that's absolutely great for people who have vertigo or would like to develop some. There are quite a few gripping moments of various sorts in this flick.

I'm often a big Roeg fan, and am a really big horror fan, though a picky one. (Being picky and liking horror doesn't go well together.) So I liked this film, even if it seems not quite successful.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 PM

glad you liked it. i reccomend this to everyone looking for a good, unknown, unconventional thriller that also makes you think a little.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're comfortable with them watching a mainstream sex scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

That "mainstream" sex scene is still the subject of furious "did they really/didn't they really" scandal. Apparently the director wasn't sure when to cut.

Excellent movie. Freaky ending.