Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Home Game Ads?

I was snooping around this forum a little bit looking for home games in my area (Chicago burbs). Then I start wondering what these games are actually like. I would imagine that most are decent clean games and the ads are just looking to ad a few guys to the normal crew.

However, if it's decent sized stakes and I'm playing for the first time... how well can I trust the guys that I don't know in a place I don't know? What's preventing a group of guys to take advantage of cheating a newbie each week out of all their cash?

Anyone have experience being brand new to a home game that they found online? I'd like to play in games like this sometime in the future but I just don't know how safe this is.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Home Game Ads?

I know 3 members found my home game online, maybe they'll stop by and give their opinions - What I'd do, if I were you, is download a bunch of videos on how to catch cheaters, how to cheat etc, and then you kinda know what to look for. Also, make sure everyone is cutting the deck, etc, if they aren't, maybe mention it, or you just know not to come back again - not neccesarily cause they are cheating, but when I have new players I try to make them feel as comfortable/safe as possible, I always ask them if they want to cut.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM

What assumption do you want to make- that most people are cheats, or that people who start and post home games are more likely to be people such as yourself?

My home game started because I went to another home game I saw posted, gambled that it would be on the level, and it was....inspiring me to start MY game.

Since hundreds of people looked for a game and came to mine (and found a safe game), I think you can have a similar experience.
You can be careful and play for lower stakes/buyin to start, but don't be afraid to check things out even IF you get screwed over once.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM

You can also just watch for a half hour and see how the action and procedures are. If you are not comfortable, leave.