Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: 1-3NLHE MAX $200, worth it?

[ QUOTE ]

with that stack you're getting pot-commited with almost every flop raise..

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm, no.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limelight in Sac?

[/ QUOTE ]

This game gets pretty deep after a while. I was there a couple weeks ago and there were 3 players with > 1k at the table. It was definitely a worthwhile game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I've had some pretty good success there, even though I'm a NL neophyte. If you drop by again and see a guy with a beard and digital cammo hat, using a blue bay101 chip as a card protector, feel free to say "hi."
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limelight in Sac?

[/ QUOTE ]

The very one. I play 3-6 and 4-8 there but hadn't been there in a few months. When I played the other day I noticed they had NL (finally) and was thinking about sitting down, however I only have like $250 for poker right now so I'm debating whether to stick to the limit games or go for the NL table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NL can be very good, but can occationally be semi-tough. $250 isn't really an adequate roll for any game, but you could short buy at the 1/3 for $100 and give it a shot. If it's a good game and you run good, you can make a mint.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 AM

I advise to most always buy-in for the MAXIMUM allowed.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I advise to most always buy-in for the MAXIMUM allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short-buying in this game with a short roll is not a horrible decision. As long as the OP makes proper adjustments for stack sizes when making strategic decisions, then the hourly rate does not suffer as much as you would suspect (although it certainly does suffer). With OP's b-roll situation, I'd say that buying in short for $100 and playing a good short stack strategy at Limelight (or Lucky Derby's 2/5 200 max game) is the best way to build the roll quickly and with a reasonable risk of ruin given the roll and games available. OP also said that NL is his preferred game. Yes, with a proper bankroll then I agree, buying in full is preferred in most situations. This is not one of those times.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 PM

Beatable. The Luxor has a crazy game with 1-1-2 blinds and a $50 max buy-in (although they may have raised it recently). Bad players re-buy and re-buy and the stacks get considerable. That game is worth $20/hour, easy.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beatable. The Luxor has a crazy game with 1-1-2 blinds and a $50 max buy-in (although they may have raised it recently). Bad players re-buy and re-buy and the stacks get considerable. That game is worth $20/hour, easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

raised to 100 i believe. but ya that game was ridiculous, once you get under 50 bucks you can start rebuying
Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I just got done reading the section in NLHETAP about short-buying and that sounds like a good idea in this case.