Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda Thread (NES)

[ QUOTE ]
I think a HUGE part of the greatness of classic games like Zelda is nostalgia.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will burn in hell for your blasphemy!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM

I think you're spot on about the nostalgia effect for games in general, but I honestly believe that Zelda is still playable and not dated as many other classics are. I guess I can't say that for certain since I am obviously very nostalgic about it, but... just load up an emulator and give it a try. Prove me wrong. It really is an incredible game regardless of it's era.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 PM

I think that the ending of this game was one of the best parts...a second quest, WTF? That was unheard of and totally unexpected...by me at least.

I remember that my first few times playing the game (when I was 5) that I would always take the potion because I thought that the heart container was just a single heart, and I was like "Hmmm...single heart or the ability to fill up all my hearts whenever I want (twice!)...what sucker would ever take the heart?!?!...Nice try old guy!"

Also, I had no prior experience with games that saved your progress so I would just start at the beginning everytime I played it, and it took me a long time to even realize that there was a second level/find where the second level was.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Do you get the letter if you get the medicine if you choose that instead of heart container? The Second Quest is kicking my butt a little right now. I have an idea where the letter is for the Medicine but I can't find it, so I might just cheap the system that way if it works.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 PM

I beat this game w/ the wooden sword & no ring. Zelda wears the same clothes as the color you have. I usually beat the 2nd lvl first, and get the white sword right away. I don't remember the order, but there were the quickest way to beat it wasn't in order.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a HUGE part of the greatness of Zelda is the fact that is was a great game, and not some psych 101 babble like feelings of nostalgia.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. Sometimes games are just great. This was one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you get the letter if you get the medicine if you choose that instead of heart container?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played in over a decade at least, so I'm relying on old memories, but no. The medicine vanishes into an empty slot.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Default For all fans of old school zelda...

Check out Zelda Classic. It allows people to make and share custom quests. There are some pretty sick quests out there, too.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: For all fans of old school zelda...

Tetris Attack is a game that I played only recently (a year or two ago) and is terrific. I'll take it over any other game with the tetris name, including the original.

The simplicity is key. A minute to learn, and a couple years later I still can't crack 30k on 2 minute. The game is a lot of fun.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: For all fans of old school zelda...

My god tetris attack was amazing. I could never stop playing it. I so hope it gets released on VC.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:59 AM

Awesome game. But I need to go back and play it again on my own. Back when I was like 10 years old my friend who had the maze or puzzle or whatever it is for gannon memorized beat it for me, although I played up to that point. Never played it since but damn I wish I would have insisted that I figure it out myself. This game was truely awesome and not just because the cartridge matched the color of the party poker suede jacket lining.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I beat this game w/ the wooden sword & no ring. Zelda wears the same clothes as the color you have. I usually beat the 2nd lvl first, and get the white sword right away. I don't remember the order, but there were the quickest way to beat it wasn't in order.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a HUGE part of the greatness of Zelda is the fact that is was a great game, and not some psych 101 babble like feelings of nostalgia.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. Sometimes games are just great. This was one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you get the letter if you get the medicine if you choose that instead of heart container?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played in over a decade at least, so I'm relying on old memories, but no. The medicine vanishes into an empty slot.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no ring and wood sword? that is hardcore. I was going to ask if anyone had tried it. You are correct, i tried it, but you can't gain the letter by just picking up medicine from these hidden spots. I thought you needed to beat the 1st and 2nd levels both to get the second sword and not just the 2nd. You need it for the 3rd so those slime guys don't break apart on you. You get the top sword after beating Level-6. It's easy since you are right next to the graveyard. I do like Level-2 because it has my favorite enemy, the snakes. So easy to kill and so profitable.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda01.php
This is probably the best website for all things Zelda, it did show me where that heart container I was missing was. I accidentally saw where the letter for the medicine on the Second Quest was but my searching in what I thought the general area failed to turn up something.