Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Decisions to join or not join the military

One more thing that factored into my decision was an immense desire to be elite. The Marines are the most proven fighting force in the world, and simply reading the histories of certain battles motivates the hell out of me. I don't know... it just seems like it was calling my name. Perhaps you think that humping long distances in hot weather, sleeping on the ground, not showering for days and sleeping 3 hours a night (sometimes less) is your idea of Hell. But in my mind, working some [censored] 9-5 job behind a desk isn't rewarding in the least, and it may be my version of Hell.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:46 PM

I am not going to quote it, but I found it interesting that MVP says that he grew up around violence, and that is one of the reasons you are wanting to join the military. My first post expresses my own violent up-bringing, and that is the reason I would never think to join the military. I find it interesting that two people have widely different reactions to the same thing.

I do think that what I experienced was far more severe, and was, in many cases, life or death. I did not have the choice of life or death, but I am sure that the villain's conscience spoke early.

I think that there is a huge difference between a bar-fight and a real fight. When weapons are drawn, blood flows, and bones are broken, a certain amount of shame should be found in knowing that you have this capability. I hope that you will be able to tell the difference when you are faced with the consequences of your own actions. I do not mean after you have been severely hurt, but after you either severely hurt someone or you witness someone severely hurt. In the end, I decided that far few people are that evil.

For further thought, think of Abu Graib.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:57 PM

I'm usually late to the show, but I'll give my input. I didn't read the entire thread.

I grew up knowing that I wanted to be a police officer. I always thought about majoring in criminology because I knew I wanted to go into law enforcement.

When I was in 11th grade in high school, I had a careers class and some Army National Guard recruiters came in. They stressed the benefits that Pennsylvania paid 100% tuition to 13-ish state schools. Two months later I enlisted in the military. I never expected to do it, but I more or less did it because of the 100% tuition factor.

I was deployed to Kosovo in 2003 and after that deployment, I realized that I couldn't help, but to be proud of my country for what we have, and for everything I have. It was an honor to be able to serve for my country.

The military was never my thing and I knew it wasn't a long-run career path. It has set me up for the rest of my life though, and I don't regret joining.

Alot of people ask me if I'd do it all over again. My answer, "If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't, but I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't."

I got out of the PA National Guard in July 2006. I went from Criminology to Finance to Economics. I would have never changed to Finance if it wasn't for getting deployed to Kosovo and I couldn't be happier with my decision, although I will probably never use my degree in Economics, which I'll be getting in December!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I can see where you're coming from but this does stem from a semantic argument. What you post is similar to what I'm conveying. A little bit of "that" is in us, and while we rightly push it away in favor of a more enlightened path, we don't live in a world that allows banishment of such feelings. There are times when we must be "barbaric", as you put it. All I was trying to say is that training yourself to prepare for 'that' is not as harmful as we are told to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that, and that's one reason I trained like a maniac for years in martial arts. However, I wouldn't want someone else telling me who to punch in the face, is all.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing that factored into my decision was an immense desire to be elite. The Marines are the most proven fighting force in the world, and simply reading the histories of certain battles motivates the hell out of me. I don't know... it just seems like it was calling my name. Perhaps you think that humping long distances in hot weather, sleeping on the ground, not showering for days and sleeping 3 hours a night (sometimes less) is your idea of Hell. But in my mind, working some [censored] 9-5 job behind a desk isn't rewarding in the least, and it may be my version of Hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely see that too. And in its own way, you're right, it is. I think the job I had that I liked most in my life was actually working construction as a kid. Sitting behind a desk in a stuffy office all day is stultifying, soul-draining, and unnatural.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any thought on Force Recon?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any thought on Force Recon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course, but most Force Recon Dets are being phased out in favor of MARSOC. I previously mentioned MSOG, and Recon battalions.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Same reason I didn't become an accountant or work at McDonald's or become an NFL quarterback, it never really entered my mind. I would guess this is a common reason.

[ QUOTE ]
No matter what ... I, for one, greatly appreciate the sacrifices of our military and their families.

[/ QUOTE ]
entertainme, is this what you meant? Is there any scenario in which you wouldn't support and/or appreciate someone who joined the military?

[ QUOTE ]
I think everybody wants to be a Warrior in some way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you think this is a fact, but I'd be surprised if this were true. Is this because it's in our DNA or because of how we're all raised?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My favorite post in this thread. I envy your passion.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 AM

As mentioned previously, "Warrior" doesn't necessitate Military enlistment. There is a great documentary about public school teachers in the inner city, struggling each year with violent, unruly, neglected children, and each year they keep comming back. They are Warriors in my opinion.

I only meant that it is my opinion that everybody wants to fight for something they believe in. I think deep down everybody wants to struggle through something to be able to look back on a life of triumph. Surely there will be people who don't fit this mold, but such generalizations are to be taken as such: just generalizations.