Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu\'s Latest Cardplayer Article

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile your point about your risk tolerance being decided by age 15 is true but unacceptable. There is a theoretically correct risk tolerance. And if your own personal psychology pushes you too far away from it in EITHER direction, it behooves you to try to change.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this like the probability machine not being able to predict you? You're inside the system being described. If I've learned anything it's that you can't change who you are, but maybe you can accept it better and not be distracted by image concerns. I don't know if that's +EV or just feels it.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a theoretically correct risk tolerance. And if your own personal psychology pushes you too far away from it in EITHER direction, it behooves you to try to change.

[/ QUOTE ]
People still take risks for fun and not because they are theoretically correct. This is called not being a nit.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's decided in your first 15 years of life whether you're risky or nitty, and I think both you and Negreanu are a tad over-defensive of your own positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

this can be changed by behavior modification and other mental techniques, just like u can change ur body with different workouts
Old 08-25-2007, 02:24 AM

DN never saw a table he didn't think he could beat, just like he never saw a hole he didn't think he could call a reraise with and "outplay" his opponent postflop.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DN never saw a table he didn't think he could beat

[/ QUOTE ]

except for 95% of every 50/100nl+ tables that have ran online
Old 08-25-2007, 04:14 PM

also my point was that there may be some good reasons to take unusually big risks that may result in going broke - i don't think every one of these guys necessarily realized this with poker but i think there are times in life when taking a large risk might be worth it.

tc
Old 08-25-2007, 02:28 AM

you'll never get the 15yr old if you don't give it a shot.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you'll never get the 15yr old if you don't give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] funny
Old 08-25-2007, 02:39 AM

"I completely agree that those who never push themselves past their comfort level are somewhat sad cases. If you can afford it, play in higher games than you are used to if for no other reason than it will help your game."

I think this is quite ignorant. If you are a kid playing for fun or playing for ego, sure, push yourself as much as you choose. If it is your career, you should play within your comfort zone. Undoubtedly you will have pushed yourself outside of it on your way to making it your career. But once there, to say it is sad to be responsible and have your job have some kind of stability is just pathetic.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"I completely agree that those who never push themselves past their comfort level are somewhat sad cases. If you can afford it, play in higher games than you are used to if for no other reason than it will help your game."

I think this is quite ignorant. If you are a kid playing for fun or playing for ego, sure, push yourself as much as you choose. If it is your career, you should play within your comfort zone. Undoubtedly you will have pushed yourself outside of it on your way to making it your career. But once there, to say it is sad to be responsible and have your job have some kind of stability is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to know who David Sklansky is as a poker player. I mean is he a high stakes online player? Live? Has his income come from actual cash game play since the poker boom? It's easy to say people should be playing over their comfort zones, but if it is what they do, it's isn't so clear.