Old 11-23-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: 200NL: I hate overpairs, I really do

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

75,240 games 0.047 secs 1,600,851 games/sec

Board: 7d 8h Th
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 58.260% 57.65% 00.61% 43374 461.00 { QcQs }
Hand 1: 41.740% 41.13% 00.61% 30944 461.00 { 99-77, ATs, KhQh, KTs, QhJh, QTs, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 7h6h, 5h4h, ATo, KTo, QTo, JTo }

---

We're shoving here because we're ahead of a range that consists of draws and pairdraw combos as well as sets. Plus, the board is drawy enough to bluff with profitably. On a drier board, we may find a fold, but as CDL said, board texture dictates shoving here.

Overpairs can be tough to play because we can end up in situations like this where we're not sure how ahead we are if we commit, given that there's money behind. By raising more preflop, you cut implied odds for hands like scs and small PPs and can force them to be making a mistake if they call. Betting harder on the flop charges the draws the maximum while you're still ahead of their range and makes decision-making much easier since there's less money behind and you've gotten most of the money in with the best hand already.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 200NL: I hate overpairs, I really do

Interesting. Anyways, I ended up folding here. I'm still undecided about whether or not I'd stack off here if a similar situation came up like this (which it inevitably will). I'll raise more PF to make things easier on myself.

By the way, here's another one lol (completely different villain/table here):

Hero ($196.50) is UTG with Qh-Qc

Hero raises to $9, UTG+1 ($195) calls, MP ($200) calls, folded around

Flop 8c-5c-5s (Pot: $32)
Hero bets $20, UTG+1 calls $20, MP minraises to $40, Hero contemplates for a bit and thinks he's being played with and pops it to $110, UTG+1 folds, MP folds

Again, I should've bet more on the flop here I think because the clubs aren't going anywhere. I've seen these strange minraises all over the place lately; they happen to be somewhat annoying but I guess I have to learn to deal with them because they just keep happening lol.