Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 100NL hand reading hand

bet the turn caus worse hand and draws will pay you (45) aces that floated flop etc...
On the river you're beat most of the time but your pot odds make it such that you don't need to be ahead very often to be right to call.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 PM

Weird board for that raise.

Looks a lot like he had 33/66, slowplayed the flop, and didn't want to scare you away with a turn bet, then he figures the 2 couldn't help you so he's raising for value. Other than that it's probably some 54s. But I think folding is right. A solid player is not raising that river without a hand that beats you.

I like betting the turn as well.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:18 PM

1. What does he not have? AA (definitely raises flop), KK, QQ, AJ (definitely raises flop and/or bets turn), J6, J3, KJ, QJ, JT, 22 (he has to be some combination of floaty mcgee and luckbox to show up with this one-then again this is 100NL).
2. Is he bluffing? If he's going to play air here, it seems more likely he's just going to raise the flop with it. The board has no draws, and most of your CB hands miss this flop. If he's floating, would he be betting the turn? And if he's not betting the turn, why is he making a min-raise on the river when you're priced in to call and all he can rep is 45? You would have to be really sure of your player to put him on air on the river. I think an aggro player is definitely making a bit bigger river bet here with pure air, unless he's mistakenly putting you on pure air, in which case, i'm sure he raises flop/bets turn.
3. So, what is he betting? Here's what it looks like he can have: AK, AQ (maybe), JJ, 66, 33, A6, 45.

So really you can beat AK only and air, which it is really hard to put him on. I think you need a read about his river min-raise to call, even though you're more priced in than Bob Barker. I say this because of all the hands we can put him on, AK is the least likely, and the board texture gave him a very good reason to slow-play monsters.

As others have said, bet the turn. Two pair is a monster here, and you need to find out immediately if it's good and start getting value, since you're OOP. If you're in position, you can check behind on the turn, but OOP you need to make a bet here, since you're going to have a hard time checking or folding the river as played.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:39 PM

I ended up calling and he had 33. It was a tricky check behind by him on the turn. I do think I should probably fold preflop. As far as the turn goes, I can see that betting seems "bluffy", which is good. But then if he calls, do I bet-fold most river cards?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am hyper aggressive preflop and while I don't mind the raise am I the only person who considers folding this preflop? I mean I would rather raise 74os preflop than this hand, you have very little intrinsic value and when you do hit if you get any action (besides the flush) you are most likely beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

A2s-A5s make a lot of nice combo draws that you can play aggresively.

Regarding postflop, I agree with everyone else, there is a lot of value in betting the turn. As played I call since your line really isn't that strong.