Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Advice of what I have done wrong here / how to play it correctly

Okay, I play poker for a year now and I really think that's the thing I do the worst, everytime I flop a set or the nut straight I get really greedy and don't want to SCARE my opponents away. Very often I end up getting outdrawn although my betting might be good enough not giving them the right odds.

But I really think I lose a lot of money because I slow play there. I remember a big hand on mansion poker on which I flopped a set, slow played and lost over 800 dollars when I was playing higher.

Okay, the first hand, I really thought he was bluffing and I wanted to reraise the turn, however my bet on the river was bad I guess, should have check called, BUT my question is, what should I do differently on the flop? Reraise back for how much more?

The second hand is a joke however, I wasn't really caring about the short stack but wanted to keep the guy who had a lot of cash left to keep firing because he did it in 4 pots already in which he ended up having nothing. YET, how should I play it?

Please don't post if you are really new to this game, experienced players please.

I posted the results because I don't know how to post them in white below the hand.

Titan No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25/$0.50BB (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

SB ($63.30)
BB ($31.12)
MP2 ($17.05)
MP3 ($67.30)
CO ($50.00) (Hero)
Button ($140.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to 1.0</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to 4.0</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $3.50, MP2 calls $3.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to 7.0</font>, Hero calls $3.00, BB calls $3.00, MP2 calls $3.00,

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ( $28.25 )
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $5.00</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to 10.0</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls $10.00, MP3 calls $5.00,

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ( $58.25 )
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises All-In $0.05</font>, MP3 calls $0.05, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to 14.85</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>,

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $73.2 )

Final Pot: $70.30

Results:
MP2 has 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero has 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Outcome: MP2 wins $55.50
Outcome: Hero wins $14.80

--------

Titan No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25/$0.50BB (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

CO ($83.57) (Hero)
Button ($77.11)
SB ($49.50)
BB ($64.79)
MP3 ($47.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to 2.0</font>, Button calls $2.00, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>,

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $6.75 )
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.00</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to 7.0</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls $4.00,

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $20.75 )
Hero checks, Button checks,

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( $20.75 )
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10.00</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to 29.0</font>, Hero calls $19.00,

Final Pot: $75.75

Results:
Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button has K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Outcome: Button wins $75.75
Old 09-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Advice of what I have done wrong here / how to play it correctly

Hand 1 you should raise more on the flop, I don't see any value in making a minraise, probably something around 15. As for him having a straight, you basically had him all in on the flop so you couldn't have prevented it and got it in with the best hand.

Hand 2 I am definitley reraising the flop, you have the nuts and he seems to really like his hand. If you only decide to call this flop you can't check the turn to hope he bets out, make a bet and if he raises again then you can shove. I would of played the river the same if I got there like that, but when hes playing back at you when you flopped the nuts you need to try and continually get as much money as possible in the pot on every street.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Yes, that's what I'am thinking right now.

How can I stop trying to trap people, I really try to trap people too much, how do I prevent that kind of moves I usually do?

It's like I am scared that they fold...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:32 PM

First, don't post results of your hands.

Just a quick glance shows me these are mangled.

Min-raise in hand 1 is awful.

Hand 2 -- villain read you perfectly. I'm shocked at his perfect chk behind. Do you slow play nuts and bet air/ weak hands?

I wouldn't slow play HU OOP.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 PM

hand 1: just call preflop. you have a low pp, see flop cheaply. MP3 called you with 85o after you reraise...wow. anyhow, since the board is so drawy with straight and flush combinations, push flop.

hand 2: why you raising pf? 3bet flop. pot turn, push if raised.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Alright. Lots to talk about here. Preflop in hand 1 is no good man. Unless you think he's isolating MP2 loosely, just call and play for set value. You are cutting down on your implied odds.

Reraise more on the flop. The reasons are two-fold. One, the flop is draw heavy and you are giving them plenty good odds to draw. Secondly, MP3 has got a good hand. He 4-bet you preflop and will often show up with an overpair here. Get as much money in now as you can, because alot of scare cards may come on the turn (which happened).

Turn you should be pushing. Pray that he's got an overpair with a heart.

A wise man once said: "Never slowplay a broadway straight in a raised pot." If they play back at you here, they usually have a good hand, since the flop most likely hit you. Just reraise to $25 or something and push turn. Once again, don't let any scare cards appear.

You seem very results-oriented. Try to get rid of this. If you get drawn out, but played the hand well, pat yourself on the back because you know you'll get the money eventually.

Oh, and I hate this:

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't post if you are really new to this game, experienced players please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since these hands are quite trivial. By responding we all learn and a better player usually sets the record straight if the advice is way off.

Dumle
Old 09-02-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 -- villain read you perfectly. I'm shocked at his perfect chk behind. Do you slow play nuts and bet air/ weak hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, he was probably trying to trap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dumle
Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Well, thanks for the help guys.

The reason I reraised with 66, is because I had 1. position, 2. this guy raised minimum so often preflop and if I reraise he can fold preflop, or I have a freecard on the flop or can bet and make him fold on the flop.

The games are VERY LOOSE, that's why it makes sense to raise with almost any hand in pos and from the cutoff.

I need to sort my betting patterns ffs
Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Why do so many people minraise? It's so weak, no one folds when you're bluffing and anyone with a piece gets odds to suck out. Not that the short stack was going anywhere but if the bigger stack hits you lose a ton more.

Half pot lead on hand 2 flop is no good against two players, build the pot! And then your dreams come true and you get some guy to raise you, a weak ass basically minraise again, and you call? Reraise flop so you can shove the turn. The turn pot should definitely be around $50-55. You have the nuts on a board that probably hit your opponent hard, get your stack in. He can easily put you on AA or AK and stack off.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:42 PM

I think on the first hand you have to fold after being re popped your not getting the right odds to call for set value. Raise more on the flop, on the turn shove I think I can find a fold here.

Second hand...after a check raise I want the money in as fast as possible. He has enough of a hand to check raise he will have enough of a hand to call another raise.