Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

[ QUOTE ]

PRIMER - An indie sci-fi film from just two years ago that I loved and that seems perfectly suited for 2p2ers, imo. Smart young guys have a small business in their garage as an addition to their engineer day jobs. One day they accidentally create what turns out to be a kind of time machine, and unlike every movie ever, they actually think about what they're doing and try to use it in rational ways. But that still doesn't mean everything goes smoothly. I can't say much more without spoiling, just that I give it my highest possible recommendation, to a thinking audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded
Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if its obscure but a recently watched Harold and Maude with a friend which I had never heard of.

[ QUOTE ]
Harold is a depressed, death-obsessed 20-year-old man-child who spends his free time attending funerals and committing suicide in front of his mother, but he does not die. At a funeral, Harold befriends Maude, a 79-year-old woman who has a zest for life. She and Harold spend much time together during which she exposes him to the wonders and possibilities of life. After rejecting his mother's three attempts to set him up with a potential wife, and committing fake suicide in front of all of them, Harold announces that he is to be married to Maude. However, Maude has a surprise for Harold that is to change his life forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

again it may just be my ignorance and this could be a well known movie but I found it to be original, visually pleasing, hilarious and touching.

[/ QUOTE ]

SUCH a good movie! it was extra credit for my 'Problem of God' class.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:53 PM

I dont think it counts as an unknown, but it is a good movie and worth watching anyways
Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ghost Dog- Forest Whitaker as an inner city Samurai hit man, up against the Public Enemy spouting mob. His best friend is a Haitian ice cream vendor and neither of them speaks the other's language. It works well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ghost Dog is excellent - Forest Whitaker owns. Primer is very good as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 PM

Harold and Maude is very good. I wouldn't call it obscure, but people should definitely see it. Strong soundtrack, which frequently favorably disposes me towards movies.

If you liked Memento, I'd recommend an earlier work by the same director (Christopher Nolan) called Following. It has a really creepy atmosphere, plays around a little bit with the chronology, and is generally just an enjoyable little package.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ghost Dog- Forest Whitaker as an inner city Samurai hit man, up against the Public Enemy spouting mob. His best friend is a Haitian ice cream vendor and neither of them speaks the other's language. It works well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I opened this thread thinking of this movie, although I'm not sure it qualifies. Since someone posted it, I'll go with...

Withnail and I, a huge UK cult classic from the late 80s. This movie doesnt have much of a plot. It's a dark comedy invlolving a failed actor and his friend wandering around near london in '69 consuming ridiculous amounts of booze, with lots of parallels to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Truly amazing dialogue.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if its obscure but a recently watched Harold and Maude with a friend which I had never heard of.

[ QUOTE ]
Harold is a depressed, death-obsessed 20-year-old man-child who spends his free time attending funerals and committing suicide in front of his mother, but he does not die. At a funeral, Harold befriends Maude, a 79-year-old woman who has a zest for life. She and Harold spend much time together during which she exposes him to the wonders and possibilities of life. After rejecting his mother's three attempts to set him up with a potential wife, and committing fake suicide in front of all of them, Harold announces that he is to be married to Maude. However, Maude has a surprise for Harold that is to change his life forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

again it may just be my ignorance and this could be a well known movie but I found it to be original, visually pleasing, hilarious and touching.

[/ QUOTE ]

SUCH a good movie! it was extra credit for my 'Problem of God' class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maude ruined it for me.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 AM

I'm not sure how obscure films need to be to qualify, but "Lone Star" (link) should definitely be seen.

It stars Chris Cooper, who is one of my favorite actors, and also features Kris Kristofferson, who is cast perfectly as a scary sonofabitch. At its most basic level, the film is a mystery story, and it is interesting enough on that right. But it also presents a rich portrait of Texas's multicultural history.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:09 AM

I think many people under 25 are not nearly as familiar with
Harold and Maude as they were in my little 'mini-generation' and older.
I'm 36, graduated high-school in 89, and most people I was friends with in high-school or college had seen this film and many considered it their all-time favorite.

So I don't think it should count as obscure either but maybe it actually has made it to obscure status by now.

Harold and Maude is a wonderful film and the Cat Stevens soundtrack adds a lot to it too.

Highway 61 (1991) is my obscure movie pick for the day.
Up-tight guy and hip-ster woman make road-trip from Canada to New Orleans with corpse/coffin on top of their car all-the-while being chased by a guy who thinks he's Satan who stops off at churches to play bingo to fund his trip.
Hunting live chickens with hand-guns in big mansion while Tom Jones "It's Not Unusual" is cranked-up is the scene that cracks me up the most.
Black humour that isn't for everyone but I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 AM

"Paranoia" trilogy:

Three Days of the Condor
Parallax View
Klute