Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: poker tip... (and general poker discussion thread)

[ QUOTE ]
i like to see showdowns. i like to win money.

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be the source of your problem
Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 AM

Yeah the LA games are really great. Vegas games are still fantastic also. As a strictly live player I see no need to switch to limit. Recently I've been trying to learn just for the sake of better game selection though.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been a winner at 10/20+ for a million hands. one of my friends has as well.

we both tried to move to nl and after around 50k combined hands at 1-2 and 2-4 both of us were about breakeven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you just have some work to do on your NL game. 50k hands compared to 1 mill, is pretty small in comparison.

Admittedly, I haven't played that much NL, but you must like the frequent and thin calls and value bets of limit better or something.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"combine that with the absolute mind numbing boredom of nl and i dont think ill ever go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one of the most baffling things i've ever read. i don't know how anyone can think no limit is boring once you truly learn how to play the game. the game isn't about showing hands down, the game is about making big hands and showing them down, and making opponents fold their hands when you don't make a big hand.

this just seems a lot more exciting to me than the mechanical nature of limit hold'em. who cares if you can't see a showdown, it's much more fun to play 40% of the pots like you can playing short handed NL.

tc
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 AM

"it's much more fun to play 40% of the pots like you can playing short handed NL."

well you can do this sh limit too.

" i don't know how anyone can think no limit is boring once you truly learn how to play the game."

well this the key. i dont truly know the game and everything i read on the forum is ppl folding huge hands. in practice i got owned so many times. i flop a set and put money in the pot and the [censored] folds and actually has the audacity to show his aa. or i hit 2 pair and call pot sized bets to obv see the nuts. thats it. the only reason i stayed afloat was bc i stole so many pots pf and on the flop when everyone had nothing.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 AM

I've played a considerable amount of both limit and NL, and NL is far more entertaining to me. I agree with what Taylor said about limit being mechanical; I feel like I'm playing with handcuffs on or something. In NL I have so much more freedom to take lots of different lines, and much more interesting situations seem to come up.

This is only online though; live, limit is way more fun for some reason. Probably because I'm getting drunk.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"If you're able to beat tough, mid-limit games, you should learn NL instead. It's suprisingly easy and quick to do"

everyone says this but i dont really believe it. ive been a winner at 10/20+ for a million hands. one of my friends has as well.

we both tried to move to nl and after around 50k combined hands at 1-2 and 2-4 both of us were about breakeven. combine that with the absolute mind numbing boredom of nl and i dont think ill ever go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played only limit for my first 200k hands and was winning at 2.5BB over 100k hands at 10/20+. In my first month playing NL (i jumped into NL600) I made half as much as the whole year previous playing limit. In the next month I more than doubled my lifetime poker earn (including the previous month).

For the first month I still thought limit was more enjoyable and a "better" poker game. NL is now way more enjoyable for me and I feel a more complex and interesting game.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM

limon, A friend of mine used to be a pro in LA in the mid 90s. He stopped playing there (and generally) for fear of collusion and teams after being asked to join one. You've suggested in the past that the mid-limit games are clean now because of the lure of online poker. Any thoughts on what will happen to 40/80 games in LA now that online is being choked off?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM

limon,

Why would someone want to play 30/60 if you can have at least the same winrate at a 5/10NL uncapped with a lot less variance
Old 01-31-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limon,

Why would someone want to play 30/60 if you can have at least the same winrate at a 5/10NL uncapped with a lot less variance

[/ QUOTE ]

one of my reasons:

i don't always show up with my A-game. playing a C-level limit game is a lot less risky than playing a C-level nolimit game. i guess that kinda flies in the face of the "limit has higher variance" doctrine, but whatever.