Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Getting in over your head......job related

You seem confident, bordering on cocky, definitely necessary in club biz.

That said, careful with hiring too many friends as bartenders. Also, careful with the "not too friendly" tough guy thing. This is rarely good to cultivate. Focus on being as gregarious, charismatic, as you can; you can still handle business when you need to.

Also, wtf with pronouncements like this?

[ QUOTE ]
Promos

Lots of radio spots, Im good friends with the main DJ at the big top 40 station here in stl, everyone between the ages of 18 and 25 listen to it etc, and basically he is going to plug us for free during drivetime, and when he is doing his live mixes, also we will have them probably do a live spot from our place a couple of times a month, we are paying for spots on 1 other radio station.

[/ QUOTE ]

You basically name the guy. You know him plugging you 'for free' during his show because "you're friends" is a terminable offense? If you have another arrangement, i.e. monetary with him directly, you're both committing federal felony offense. If live spots are bonus spots contingent on your buying live remote broadcast then fine, but careful with these type of pronouncements. Even it is all on up and up, which I'll assume it is, it smacks of "talking too much."
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM

G,

Make sure you rape the alcohol reps for whatever you can. Don't worry about kickbacks from them. Obviously you already have a deal with Budweiser. These guys have tons of flexibility (I was one) and can really save on your bottom line down the road.

Are you familiar with all the various reps in your area from your other stints?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem confident, bordering on cocky, definitely necessary in club biz.

That said, careful with hiring too many friends as bartenders. Also, careful with the "not too friendly" tough guy thing. This is rarely good to cultivate. Focus on being as gregarious, charismatic, as you can; you can still handle business when you need to.

Also, wtf with pronouncements like this?

[ QUOTE ]
Promos

Lots of radio spots, Im good friends with the main DJ at the big top 40 station here in stl, everyone between the ages of 18 and 25 listen to it etc, and basically he is going to plug us for free during drivetime, and when he is doing his live mixes, also we will have them probably do a live spot from our place a couple of times a month, we are paying for spots on 1 other radio station.

[/ QUOTE ]

You basically name the guy. You know him plugging you 'for free' during his show because "you're friends" is a terminable offense? If you have another arrangement, i.e. monetary with him directly, you're both committing federal felony offense. If live spots are bonus spots contingent on your buying live remote broadcast then fine, but careful with these type of pronouncements. Even it is all on up and up, which I'll assume it is, it smacks of "talking too much."

[/ QUOTE ]

I do talk a lot, but there are a bunch of top 40 stations here, and each have a bunch of DJs, so I think thats not going to be an issue, and we arent doing anything wrong anyways
Old 10-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Could you go into a little about how you met these people/got this opportunity? How could a smart young guy with say ~100k investment capital get into this?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you go into a little about how you met these people/got this opportunity? How could a smart young guy with say ~100k investment capital get into this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started about 1.5 years ago installing computers/software for restaurants for a small company, I wasn't looking to squeeze tons of money from a lot of my clients, because the main reason I got into it was to make connections, and network. I met a ton of people, started hanging out socially with some, etc, and than got this offer.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM

guids, sidetracking idea, but please, someone, make this happen: live feed from concerts to your club. Springsteen Milan or Daft Punk Tokyo, even Tech N9ne Kansas City...I'd love a club that did something like this on the slower nights of the week.

Though to be feasible, someone would have to sell the service to many hundreds of bars/clubs to offset the cost of the satellite feed, dishes, film crews, fees to record co.s, artists/agents and venues, etc.../tangent

Also, share your menu ideas as they're taking shape?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids, sidetracking idea, but please, someone, make this happen: live feed from concerts to your club. Springsteen Milan or Daft Punk Tokyo, even Tech N9ne Kansas City...I'd love a club that did something like this on the slower nights of the week.

Though to be feasible, someone would have to sell the service to many hundreds of bars/clubs to offset the cost of the satellite feed, dishes, film crews, fees to record co.s, artists/agents and venues, etc.../tangent

Also, share your menu ideas as they're taking shape?

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually is a great idea, but that would have to be done on the level of promotors/sat companies. Ideally they would do all the work, and charge a monthly fee for teh feed to any bar that wants it.

The menu is going to be an authentic italian-american menu. Less "italian" dishes, and more street food that I grew up on, poor boys, salsissa/italian beef/provolone, muffaletta pizza magritte, rice balls, eggplant ball, bruchsetta, caprese, and my fav, my homemade stromboli
Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 PM

I've always wondered if bars can build a client base by offering their employees' friends discounts if they come in and spend money. Or possibly kick backs for said employees.

Imagine giving your 8.5 cocktail waitress' friends 20% of their drinks, etc. Brings attractive clientel in and keeps your employees happy. You only risk lowering efficiency if they're fratrinizing during hours and decreasing the professionality of the operation... but it's a bar/club.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered if bars can build a client base by offering their employees' friends discounts if they come in and spend money. Or possibly kick backs for said employees.

Imagine giving your 8.5 cocktail waitress' friends 20% of their drinks, etc. Brings attractive clientel in and keeps your employees happy. You only risk lowering efficiency if they're fratrinizing during hours and decreasing the professionality of the operation... but it's a bar/club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd you bring this up, I started yesterday trying to figure out a policy on employee socializing, anyone in any "managment" position, me, my kitchen manager, my head bartender etc, will not be allowed to socialize at all during off hours, I havent decided about the rest of the employees, usually its not a good thing, and if I did allow them theres no way Id give them discounts, the hot chicks are going to bring hot friends in by default, theres no point in giving them any discount, plus discounts are such a pain in the ass to keep track off.

Id like to hear form the more experienced guys on what employee fraternizing during off hours should bed
Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM

My employees could socialize in the bar during off hours and they got $1.50 drinks for themselves. In order to get the $1.50 price they had to go to one register and get their drink (one at a time) from the duty bartender manager. They had to pay full price for food.