Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Default LHE Rivalries... WTF?

Ok so everytime I log on there is a 'challenge' thread or a 'beration' thread or a 'u owe me $$$ thread'

What is going on?

Why has all this come about? Is HSLHE really become like our own little BBV?

I'm not sure I should blame Crazy Mike or anything cos I know he'll just challenge me to a HU match...

AM I supposed to draw a line in the sand here?

JT

PS I think I may be over dramatising the situation... if so plz ignore.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: LHE Rivalries... WTF?

In the bigger limit games (online and live) more of the players are 2+2ers and posters here percentage-wise than ever before. It's not uncommon for two posters to be playing each other in the mid to high stakes HU games on full tilt for example. Competing in such close proximity leads to the threads you mention.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 AM

everyone that plays limit holdem against each other thinks that the person they are playing sucks. That is due to the fact that making good plays at limit holdem often turns out to you making yourself look stupid.. i think at least.

for example, last night i was playing on full tilt, i thought ninjanate and teamdonkdown were both playing like idiots, but i am sure they are both 2+2ers, and winning regulars at lhe. Often times those are the sentiments felt between higher stakes limit holdem players, especially shorthanded. Lhe is just a game where plays are sometimes rewarded, beats are taken and peoples emotions run very high.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so everytime I log on there is a 'challenge' thread or a 'beration' thread or a 'u owe me $$$ thread'

What is going on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ego and insecurity
Old 09-21-2007, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone that plays limit holdem against each other thinks that the person they are playing sucks. That is due to the fact that making good plays at limit holdem often turns out to you making yourself look stupid.. i think at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to say that I mostly disagree with this and think its a fallacy. A lot of people are successful at mid to high stakes limit hold'em despite their leaks, whether it comes from FPS, tilt, a lack of understanding of poker theory or their opponents, or just general spew-rific-ness.

The few times I have played high stakes limit hold'em with some truly great players (Schneids and Nikla are two that come to mind from back on Empire) I was struck by how (for lack of a better word) different they seemed to play then the standard TAGs. They never made these type of overt mistakes, never stepped unnecessarily out of line, never made ridiculous payoffs with no context, or ridiculous multi barrel bluffs with no hope of success. In addition to all that (scary enough) they seemed to get the tough decisions right a higher percentage of the time then a typical opponent - if I semibluff raised the turn and bluffed the river I'd find myself called by a marginal hand, if I semi-bluff raised the turn and spiked my draw and value bet the river I would rarely get the payoff, these type of things.

When I play with a great player rather than a merely good one I think I notice a distinct difference. The guys you mention from Full Tilt aren't people I'd want in the game, its not like they are just going to give money away and they are certainly tough winning players, but there is a level above them if they were "playing like idiots" at any point.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is going on?

I'm not sure I should blame Crazy Mike or anything cos I know he'll just challenge me to a HU match...

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackson Tens I challange you to a FREEZEOUT either Live or Online. 100-200 Min and as many Pepsi's as you want.

P.S. Do you like Hyena sounds?

-Crazy Mike
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 AM

I give you credit. There's no dust on your bankroll.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What is going on?

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackson Tens I challange you to a FREEZEOUT either Live or Online. 100-200 Min and as many Pepsi's as you want.

P.S. Do you like Hyena sounds?

-Crazy Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

You have already blatantly ignored numerous accepted challanges.

You=worthless trust fund toting attention whore
Old 09-21-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ego and insecurity

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I don't even play HS.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 PM

DD, well I made blanket statements but obviously those do not necessarily apply to EVERYONE. i can just think of so many instances of talking to people who play in the 200 400 games on stars about certain players who they think arent very good, but yet those players continue to win (granted it could very easily be running goodedness)

even talking about Hoss' game it seems like many people think he does things that arent optimal... i dunno im not really sure where im going with this, but i guarantee if you look back through hand histories of playing hands with people that you think are the best, schneids/nikla/etc you will find hands that they played in a very suspect way at one point or another.