Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WYR?
Except when sleeping, constantly hear the song "Smooth" by Carlos Santana at the medium volume of elevator music in your head? 15 53.57%
Have all your toes chopped off with an ax? 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Draft Day Poll: Oden or Durant?

Durant should be #1 and he will ultimately end up being the #1 player in this draft.

However, Oden will not be the #2 player. Mike Conley is going to be the steal of this draft. Kid has huge potential, and crazy talent.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Time machine hypo.

As hyped as Oden and Durant are, would either be picked over Lebron had Lebron also been a college freshman this year? I'm just trying to get a fix on how big their hype actually is.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time machine hypo.

As hyped as Oden and Durant are, would either be picked over Lebron had Lebron also been a college freshman this year? I'm just trying to get a fix on how big their hype actually is.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way in hell.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Time machine hypo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously Lebron is #1 between the 3, no question.

Also, I think Lebron had way more hype than Oden and Durant, it might just seem like the hype is bigger for O and D because its two guys compared to one.

Lebron did have Carmelo and Darko, but Carmelo wasn't Durant like crazy Freshman yr (although he did get the title) and Darko well, comon its Darko.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Time machine hypo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted Oden because I want the Sonics to get Durant real bad.

Will buy Durant Sonics jersey.

Will still wear it when he's playing in OKC.

He's like the only reason I will continue to follow them if they leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is partially the reason why the team might leave town.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM

Oden was picked over Durant because a talented big man "always" goes ahead of a talented small man. Same isn't true of him going ahead of Lebron?

I realize the hype over Lebron was incredible. He was supposed to be Magic combined with Jordan. But Durant is supposed to be a top 5 player of all time--a cross between TMac and KG with much better shooting range. And Oden is supposed to be the best center prospect in 10 years. So the hype over those two was pretty damn high also.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oden was picked over Durant because a talented big man "always" goes ahead of a talented small man. Same isn't true of him going ahead of Lebron?

I realize the hype over Lebron was incredible. He was supposed to be Magic combined with Jordan. But Durant is supposed to be a top 5 player of all time--a cross between TMac and KG with much better shooting range. And Oden is supposed to be the best center prospect in 10 years. So the hype over those two was pretty damn high also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oden isn't even the best center prospect in the last 10 years. Maybe he's the best freshman big man we've seen probally since Kareem but there have been sick prospects out of college who were big men, we just tend to forget them. Yao, Duncan, Shaq (I know 10+)come to mind. But that's 3 pretty damn good C prospects in the last 12 years. I'd be hard pressed to believe that Oden will be better than all 3.

It would still matter who was drafting and their needs. Oden's position is a need for a lot of teams. Will Oden definitely be a better player than Lebron. It's very doubtful, but he'll probally be better than the Average or even good Center at his position then Lebron is to the swing man position.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:19 AM

Oden >>>>> Yao as a prospect. Yao just had the novelty factor of being the first big time prospect out of China. Also the big man over the guard is more of a tiebreaker thing among equal prospects than a guarantee. If LeBron was in this draft, (as a college freshman, not with what we know of him now), it wouldn't even have been close between him and Oden. I remember reading articles about LeBron his junior year of high school talking about how he'd be the next Jordan. Oden wasn't even close to that level of hype.

If you really wanted a good comparison, how about Carmelo Anthony vs. Kevin Durant, both coming out after their freshman seasons. Melo actually had a ton of hype too after leading Syracuse to the championship and looking at his numbers now (22.1 PPG, 10.0 RPG), they're better than I remembered. I really don't know who would have gone higher between those two, coming out of college.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 AM

Carmelo was never really considered a great athlete though