Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Man vs Wild is fake

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2116195.ece

God dammit!!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Man vs Wild is fake

Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 PM

this can be filed under the list of "things i suspected but deeply did not want confirmed"

i hate you
Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 PM

Also,

Duh. They probably took a week to shoot that 24-48 hours that elapses over the show. If he didn't stay in hotels, he'd actually be doing more than is shown.

There are times he goes to climb a tree, then there is a camera shot from another tree. Did you think this was magic? He has a camera crew and obviously it is edited for tv.

The dude still bites heads off snakes and was in the SAS.

He can obviously do everything he is showing.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 PM

I hope he really didn't drink his own piss then
Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 PM

just based on the camera work its obvious the show isn't that legit, in terms of the his-life-is-constantly-on-the-line aspect of the show.

the show is still informative and interesting. though there are some really cheesy bits every now and again where he plays up how difficult or scary something is when it is obviously very trivial. the show survivor man seems way way more legit. but that may just be because they actually try to cover up their tracks a bit.

in terms of educational value, both shows seem to be on par with each other fwiw.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 PM

Dang. I was watching this just yesterday. The first time I saw it months ago I was thoroughly impressed, but the second time [yesterday] i was noticing all the stupid camera shots and cut aways and I started to become really suspicious of everything. I knew for a fact that he wasn't doing everything the exact way he said he was, especially because the camera man had to follow him all the time. This is disappointing, but not surprising at all.

In case anyone doesn't know though, Les Stroud who does Survivor Man is the absolute real deal. I love this dude and he inspired me to try my own survival trip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Stroud
Old 07-24-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dang. I was watching this just yesterday. The first time I saw it months ago I was thoroughly impressed, but the second time [yesterday] i was noticing all the stupid camera shots and cut aways and I started to become really suspicious of everything. I knew for a fact that he wasn't doing everything the exact way he said he was, especially because the camera man had to follow him all the time. This is disappointing, but not surprising at all.

In case anyone doesn't know though, Les Stroud who does Survivor Man is the absolute real deal. I love this dude and he inspired me to try my own survival trip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Stroud

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol at calling this guy "the real deal". What on that wiki makes him the real deal. This has already been discussed here, and its clear that Man v. Wild host Bear Grylls is more of a "real deal"

He was in the SAS

He is trained in unarmed combat, survival skills, and only had to leave the army when a parachuting went wrong and he broke his spine in three places.

[ QUOTE ]
Grylls first entered the record books in 1997 by being the youngest Briton to summit Ama Dablam in the Himalayas, a peak famously described by Sir Edmund Hillary as "unclimbable".

Then in 1998, Grylls broke another record of becoming the youngest Briton, at 23, to summit Mount Everest. Both these achievements are made even more remarkable by the fact that a mere two years earlier he almost severed his spinal cord in a near fatal parachuting accident in Africa.[6]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In 2007 Grylls broke a new world record by flying a petrol-powered paraglider over the Himalayas, higher than Mount Everest. He had to cope with temperatures of -60C and dangerously low oxygen levels to reach 29,500 feet, almost 10,000 feet higher than the previous record of 20,019 feet.[7] T

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, lol

[ QUOTE ]
He is Christian, and in many interviews has expressed his devout faith. The only alcoholic beverage he will consume is whiskey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also,

Duh. They probably took a week to shoot that 24-48 hours that elapses over the show. If he didn't stay in hotels, he'd actually be doing more than is shown.

There are times he goes to climb a tree, then there is a camera shot from another tree. Did you think this was magic? He has a camera crew and obviously it is edited for tv.

The dude still bites heads off snakes and was in the SAS.

He can obviously do everything he is showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not put together a raft, as shown in the linked story.

Nobody knows everything, including all the native plants, their medicinal and nutritive values, and ways available to build things in every environment. There's a fair bit of MacGyver in this show, and he obviously gets help from the show on that.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM

Yea, so what.

[ QUOTE ]
HE ... BIT ... THE HEAD ... OFF A SNAKE ... AND [censored] ATE IT. He ate the snake. While it was alive. After he bit off it's [censored] head. Uh, who gives a [censored] if he stayed in a motel the night before, he's still way more man than I'll ever be. Just like Mariah Carey.

(by the way, Bear was British Special Forces, broke his back at age 22 in a parachuting accident, then climbed Mt. Everest when he was 23. And he named his son Marmaduke. I dare anyone to be cooler than this. More Bear madness here)

[/ QUOTE ]

From WWTDD
The show is still nuts - it's not like the stuff he does ON camera is fake.