Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Literal Inability to do Work Sooner than the Night Before it\'s Due

This has always been a real problem with me, really unsure how to get rid of it. For example I have a huge english paper due tomorrow, and I haven't even started it yet. I've been browsing 2+2, playing poker, watching TV, etc instead of working on it.

BTW I'm a senior in HS.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Literal Inability to do Work Sooner than the Night Before it\'s Due

Pack a bag with only the absolute essentials you'll need to get your work done, plus a snack if it's going to take a long time. Walk a minimum of 15 minutes to a library or coffee shop where you won't have tv or internet. Turn off your phone. Set a specific time that you cannot leave before, eg "I will stay at the library until 7pm".

Hardcode into your weekly schedule times that you will do this. Treat it like work or a class, ie you will not skip this. If you post your schedule on your wall for your roommates or whatever, write this time block in there. If you don't have any assignments due, catch up on your reading or review your notes.

Oh, missed the part that you were in HS. This advice is obviously for college but a lot of it will work for you too. The idea is to physically move yourself to a distraction-free environment and make it inconvenient to leave. You might also try telling your parents, siblings, friends, etc about your big assignments so that they will hassle you to get your work done. That's often just the impetus I need to get up and leave the apartment to work.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM

I've started 99%+ of my homework/papers the day before(or day of) they were due in high school and college.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 PM

eh this is a major problem for me as well. I am also looking for tips on how to start work earlier (a little each day type deal).

dethgrind, I have tried this and basically I just end up wasting time at the library. I can't make myself work no matter the environment if I don't want to. Plan B?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 PM

I've had this as well and still do in college now just like high school. It's really just a matter of individual will: you can suggest things to do and whatnot but it really just comes down to whether or not you're going to do the work. Sometimes you just have to buckle down and do work. It's like any bad habit: only a strong will will break it. In addition, I wouldn't exactly define this as a problem but rather as an inefficiency, unless of course you end up not doing the work at all.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 PM

the bbv version of this thread is much better
Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Nit: Are we really sure we want to use the term "literal?"

I rarely get motivated early (though sometimes I do) and I generally do stuff at the last minute. My Drama teacher offered a pretty good explanation for us english majors..."As English majors we just use that time to formulate and fully analyze and think out what we're critically looking at....or at least that is what you can tell your teachers from now on when you spent a week thinking about sports or shopping."
Old 03-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Why not cherish your ABILITY to do the work the night before its due?

I have a friend who graduated 3rd in his class from a massive high school but blew it bad a college by blowing off every paper that was assigned to him. He'd set aside time, but he just would never end up doing it. He either makes an F or an A in almost every class, depending on whether papers make up a significant % of the final grade.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 AM

If you go to a good well respected college, you should really try to fix your study habits now because it is much more difficult to get an A in college than high school.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 AM

I have done everything at the last minute for most of college, with mixed results. I get most things done, but it probably isn't my best work.

There was a time when I did work in advance for a few weeks and that was really much better. But at the same time, I dont really care about my work or grades so YMMV. I would suggest at least trying to do work in advance and seeing where that takes you.