Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Long Distance Relationships

Funny you should mention that, getting cheated on DESTROYS your self esteem like nothing else, unless you're a well grounded arrogent (opps I mean confident) dude, and even then you'll be a little shaken. LDR have more opportunities to cheat for longer periods. Why expose yourself in a situation you can't control?

And also, losing 2 years of your life because you were calling a girl for 3 hours while everyone else is out partying = life long regret.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM

I did long distance for 2 years. I think the important parts of the success of this relationship (we are married now) were: 1) we knew and even lived together before the separation, 2) we were/are both independent people (not needy), and 3) we talked and emailed everyday and visited once every 3 weeks.

Sometimes I wonder if we are together more as a matter of good luck. His parents got bumped off an international flight and were offered $2000 in flight vouchers a piece, $4k total. They gave us the vouchers which made it possible for us to visit much more frequently than we would have been able to afford otherwise.

I don't think this is a situation for getting to know someone. I think building a relationship over long distance is much more difficult than sustaining an established long-term relationship over long distance. One should keep in mind that the interactions you have over long distance do not necessarily represent how you will be together if you are in the same location. They tend to be intensified because the duration of the visit is short and the separation between visits is long.

BTW, I know of people (professors) who are in long distance marriages (MN-MA, MN-IN). Some of these families even have children. I couldn't do it, but it works for them.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And also, losing 2 years of your life because you were calling a girl for 3 hours while everyone else is out partying = life long regret.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't always true. I honestly do not regret not going out and partying because of the LDR with my ex. In fact, I really don't regret having done the LDR other than the fact that she clearly wanted out sooner than she got out.

Also, I don't know how the two-state marriages work. I guess if you were REALLLLY independent it would work out all right...well and faithful.

In my experience, independence is easily the biggest requirement for a successful LDR. Needy people just cannot do it. Of course, loyalty would be higher than independence, but that should go without saying.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Polish girls are really hot.

I just thought I'd add that little tidbit.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Polish girls are really hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words rarely spoken.