bear 92 49.46%
gorilla w/ sword 94 50.54%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: \"Fixing\" college football -- let\'s see your solution

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CBB has a 3-week playoff, are we going to start playing Cal v Okla at 10pm Fri nite and then Okla v LSU on Sunday noon?
And then do it the next week 2x, and the week after that?? It's like people have never heard of scheduling or operations mgmt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because obviously all the games would have to be in the same location. :|

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you agree teams would play Fri nite and again Sunday afternoon, multiple times? You think that's workable?

[/ QUOTE ]

What? No. That idea is so retarded that I misunderstood your post the first time. Why would any such bogusness be required?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, here's an outside the box suggestion:
If you go undefeated in conf, you must play all of the teams in the conf before advancing ...

[/ QUOTE ]

And this idea is pretty dumb anyway. If there is a conference championship, it's IMPOSSIBLE for more than one school to emerge from that conference undefeated.

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of "You must play all teams in conf b4 advancing if you're undefeated" didn't you understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think every time a team finishes undefeated in the SEC, or ACC, or Big 12 that they should have to go play 3 more games, but you're opposed to a playoff system that would subject fans to the oppressive expense of travelling to three more games.

I guess I'm just a retard. Please tell me what I'm misunderstanding here.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that basketball teams play MORE games helps my point. Fans go to MORE home games, and those who travel travel to MORE places.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see the difference btw the 4500 Duke fans who can get CBB tickets going to Charlotte or Raleigh for a weekend to see 6 1st/2nd rd playoff games, versus 50k of their fans going to Anaheim or Tempe for 1 game?

You think those are very similar? They ain't. Needing to attract 750 fans/game is a LOT easier than 50,000 fans per game. DUCY?

The Nat'l Title game isn't changing in either method, so of course the same people will go. No extra revenue there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playoff games at campuses.

Hastily-manufactured "problem" solved.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:59 PM

The point about early season losses is a good one BlackAces.

I think many of you are trying to come up with a perfect system. There can be no such thing. What you need is a system that is less bad than all the others (like democracy supposedly is in politics).

I have heard some good ideas, but overall I think it is important to keep the bowls. While they might be antiquated manifestations of an established status quo, they are my antiquated manifestation of an established status quo. Meaning, like a lot of other CFB fans, I really like them and want to keep them. I love the idea of my Tigers being able to go to the Sugar Bowl (just as Michigan and tOSU fans love the idea of their teams going to the Rose Bowl).

The bowls are an unfair system in an unfair country, for the most American of games. (You don't hate freedom do you? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])
Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point about early season losses is a good one BlackAces.

I think many of you are trying to come up with a perfect system. There can be no such thing. What you need is a system that is less bad than all the others (like democracy supposedly is in politics)....

(You don't hate freedom do you? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Ruining the regular season and providing incentives for sked weaker OOCs makes the imperfect system worse.
Autobid for winning my conf? You best believe I'm scheduling La-La, La-monroe, and Buffalo. Now I just have to beat the 1-2 other good teams in conf, maybe they even play me at home every other year. This is why Bo Schembechler tried with all his might to keep PSU outta the B10.

And why Carr scheduled a 1-AA opponent. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Autobid for winning my conf? You best believe I'm scheduling La-La, La-monroe, and Buffalo.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that you've made a ton of sense in this thread, but why would out of conference games affect your automatic conference bid?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Autobid for winning my conf? You best believe I'm scheduling La-La, La-monroe, and Buffalo. Now I just have to beat the 1-2 other good teams in conf, maybe they even play me at home every other year. This is why Bo Schembechler tried with all his might to keep PSU outta the B10.

And why Carr scheduled a 1-AA opponent. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier you were saying that home field advantage was soooo huge of an edge that it would be unfair. Now you're telling me teams will roll over even though they'll be giving it up?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM

OOC games don't matter in who wins the conference.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM

Here is my simple yet effective playoff solution.

Using the BCS computer rankings, decide the top four teams in the nation (boo-hoo number five).

Team four plays team one and team three plays team two in two of the BCS bowls.

A new incredibly lucrative bowl is born. I would call it quite simply The National Championship Game and play it two weeks after the other BCS bowls end.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2) I would hate to remove the bowl system and the idea that there is more than one winner in college football (especially with 119 teams).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this such a sacred cow?

There are more teams in Division I basketball. They seem to do OK with only "one winner".

And there's nothing that says you have to have "one winner" if you have a playoff! You could have any number of NIT-like mini tournaments in the post season. Bowls, even! Just don't try to integrate them into the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever been a long-term season ticket holder for a major university?

Do you donate thousands per year to a major university?

My guess to both is NO. I have and I do (well my family did and, now, I do). These are the people that make college football big. Among these subset, the bowl system is very, very popular. Scrapping it would alienate those that make college football gogogogogoggogo.

It's about getting together every week with family and friends. It's about having achievable goals for every school. Bowl games are as much about rewarding the fanbases as they are the teams themselves.

I've been to the All-American Bowl (now defunct). I've been to the Citrus Bowl (now Capital one). I've been to the Hall of Fame Bowl (now Outback). I've been to the Sun Bowl. I've been to the Liberty Bowl. I've been to the Micron PC Bowl. I've been to the Sugar Bowl. I've been to the Rose Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

Not everyone's friends and family can travel to 4 distant cities in 3 weeks, and afford airfare, hotel, food, tix times 4. 99% of fans cannot. 98% of alums cannot. 99.5% of students cannot.

Why do people pretend otherwise?

Why all the utterly *retarded* comparisons to basketball. CBB you can play 4-5 games a week, do any Div 1 football teams play 4-5x a week? Do they play 35x a year? That's why there has been no workable solution.

CBB has a 3-week playoff, are we going to start playing Cal v Okla at 10pm Fri nite and then Okla v LSU on Sunday noon?
And then do it the next week 2x, and the week after that?? It's like people have never heard of scheduling or operations mgmt. Whoever was least injured after 5 additional games would win.

As long as we're wishing, I'd like a magic unicorn, winning lotto ticket, and poker skillz of Scotty baby.

The BCS is fine. SoS is included, unlike in the old days. If Boise wanted an invite last year, here's a tip - don't play Wyoming and Sacramento State - schedule Okla and TxAM and Marshall and other good OOC teams, and win all your games and you can be the Champ, see Miami 83 and BYU 84 for details, both of whom were unranked in Sept.

The regular season of cfb is perfect. I'm not willing to trade it for a '9-3, who cares, playoffs start next week so maybe we'll get lucky' attitude from Sept-Dec. And it doesn't work operationally so it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that I don't understand aobut this is that in all other divisions of college football, they have a playoff. Fans of those teams have to travel up to 4 times. I don't understand why this would be a problem for Division 1a if the lower divisions can do it.