Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Small Blind, You\'re In Anyways...

One of the questions that crosses my mind everytime I'm looking at my small blind on the felt. Disregarding all the rules about position and playable hands, I can't help but think "Hey, whether I like it or not, I'm already in for X amount, it seems a waste not to throw in the rest". Do you have a rule of thumb on how to play this? Because you're already partially vested would you allow yourself to play worse hands than normal or do you stick to your guns and let the money go if you don't have a playable openers?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Small Blind, You\'re In Anyways...

For me, my rule is raise or fold. I rarely EVER call. If my hand isn't worth raising, it darn sure won't be worth calling a raise, which is what the BB may do. So, no matter whether the SB is 1/2 the BB or 1/3, I'll fold with junk. A6s, for instance. Looks like a decent hand, but would you call a 3-4x raise from the BB with it? I wouldn't.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:53 PM

A lot of money is lost playing junk in the SB because you feel you should call.

If there are a number of limpers I will generally complete. Not saying it is right but if say 4 limps then I am getting 11/1 which is good odds. However, if it folds around I raise or fold.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM

I am same with bagadonuts, i am playing small blinds (0.5\.10), and its not much money, isnt it worth trying to call with not very good cards but after flop they can make two pairs or maybe three...?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am same with bagadonuts, i am playing small blinds (0.5\.10), and its not much money, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess it depends on whether your buyin is not much money. At .05/.10, I'd assume you buy in for at least $5. It takes no time at all to lose this $5 if you consistently call with rags.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am same with bagadonuts, i am playing small blinds (0.5\.10), and its not much money, isnt it worth trying to call with not very good cards but after flop they can make two pairs or maybe three...?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No you can't make three pairs - only joking.

If you play junk here, more often than not you miss the flop. Even if you catch a pair you still could be behind. You are out of position and now what do you do?

I think you will find calling junk will be a long term loser. Yes sometimes you strike gold but it is rare.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM

You are not playing for money - you are playing for bets, measured in BB/100 that you win or lose. Do not ever think that "its only $1", its 10x the big blind, and how that bet measures relative to the pot, your stack, etc. that matters.

In a limit setting (easier for this purpose) and you are facing a bet on the river...the dollar value is absolutely irrelevant whether you are playing 2/4 cent or at the Bellagio playing 4000/8000. It's a bet of x into a pot of y, and how does my hand fit into the textures.

One of the single easiest ways to be a broke microstakes (hell any stakes) player is undervaluing money.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 PM

read OP, rest tl;dr

It really depends on two things for me. A - who is on my left; B - how the game is. B>A too.

B
If it is a super juicy game, I prob won't worry too much about the player on my direct left most of the time (in fact, I'll be MORE inclined to call his raises with trash than if the game is tough). If the game is pretty tough, then I'll put a little more stock into my position on the flop.

A
If it is a meh game, then this really depends on the player to my left. For a while, I'll play tighter PF than normal until I can pick up a read and adjust.

I really have no problem calling a raise from the SB in most situations. The thing that you might think about though is more your odds. Disregard your hand for a minute. Say UTG raises to 3bb. MP2, CO and the BTN call. You are currently getting 5:1 on your call. This is why it really depends on the game for me. So many people play weak-tight poker on the flop/turn that makes these 5:1 PF calls grand for the bankroll. In most of the super loose games I play in, there are really only three or four people that I don't like playing with because they will repop from the BB with air just to see it go around again. Then, they are super aggressive through the rest of the hand. In this case, I'll play a little tighter from the SB.

So, its not about "I'm half in already so I HAVE to call," but more looking at your odds, your opponents, and making profitable plays.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:26 PM

If no one has raised the bet, I figure I am getting good enough odds to call, 3-1 at the least, but I fold when I miss the flop and someone bets. I won't call with complete rags, but I definitely call with A6o.
Other factors are how many others called. If everyone folded and I call with A6o, and the BB makes a bet, I would probably still call, cause I would think he is trying to steal with less of a hand. I'd see the flop, and even bet the ace. Of course, most things I say come out sounding like HEE HAAAW.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Personally, once the money is posted I don't count it as my money.