Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Default \"All in?\" asked as a question, not a statement - ruling?

2/5NL stacks irrelevant. After the river is dealt Player A bets 60.00, Player B raises to 200.00, Player A, says, "I'm all in", Player B responds "all in?" as a question, not a statement.

Ruling?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: \"All in?\" asked as a question, not a statement - ruling?

I say Player B just called.

The only reason I say that is, maybe he'll learn a lesson, and not allow the words "all-in" to come out of his mouth unless he wants to put all his chips in.

Rule this a call, and I'll bet the next time Player B is in this spot, he'll say something like, "Excuse me? I didn't quite hear you. Did you say that you were all-in?", or, "Is the action on me? Did he check or bet?"
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/5NL stacks irrelevant. After the river is dealt Player A bets 60.00, Player B raises to 200.00, Player A, says, "I'm all in", Player B responds "all in?" as a question, not a statement.

Ruling?

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked a question, h he should get an answer. He should also be more careful in how he asks the question as there are a lot of people out there that have no common sense and lack a basic understanding of poker rules and procedures.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM

Now that I'm through venting:

If no one has acted after Player B's incredibly poor choice of words, then the action is still on him.

If there's been action behind him--even if it's merely Player A tabling his hand--it's a little more complicated than that.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only reason I say that is, maybe he'll learn a lesson, and not allow the words "all-in" to come out of his mouth unless he wants to put all his chips in.

Rule this a call, and I'll bet the next time Player B is in this spot, he'll say something like, "Excuse me? I didn't quite hear you. Did you say that you were all-in?"

[/ QUOTE ]

In both examples, the words "all in" were spoken. What is the difference between the question "all in?" and the statement "did he say all in?" I rule that this was a question, and he should get an answer, he should not have to call here.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:57 PM

I agree. I don't think he's required to call. If there was action after him, thats a different story. But if you are paying attention, its pretty obvious that a question is different from a statement.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Reminds me of the WPT final table where the guy asks his opponent if he wants him to call or fold and says he will do whatever his opponent wants. After a countdown expires with no reply, the guy says "Ok. I'll make the call" meaning "I'll make the decision", but the floor rules that "I'll make the call" means he is calling the all-in bet.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Have the phrases "ARE YOU" , "IS HE", "DID HE" , "DID YOU", etc. been banned at poker tables?

I really wonder some times how often the "Check????" question is an angle.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Your title and opening post seem to indicate it was clear it was a question, so the answer would be fairly obvious, no?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rule this a call, and I'll bet the next time Player B is in this spot, he'll say something like, "Excuse me? I didn't quite hear you. Did you say that you were all-in?", or, "Is the action on me? Did he check or bet?"

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's not a call, but we need to teach this player a lesson, so we're going to rule it a call? Glad I don't have you as a father.