Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Turning 35, or Starting the Back 9

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was being understanding of your situation with my response, not pulling you up by the short hairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 'situation' might that be?

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is that given your response, you've got a long way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something I'm not picking up on here??

[/ QUOTE ]

The "situation" that I was speaking about was the fact that other posters climbed right up your arse (understandable, given the tenor of your response, IMO).

Brad,

Yes, there's a lot (IMO) that you're not picking up on here. Let me try another it another way.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I will say this only one more time........

You need to re-read this whole string with an open mind, and you need to look within yourself as to why you've said what you've said.

Then perhaps you can begin to comprehend why some others (and I am NOT one of them) have been less than kind in responding to what you've written.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was being understanding of your situation with my response, not pulling you up by the short hairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 'situation' might that be?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The "situation" that I was speaking about was the fact that other posters climbed right up your arse (understandable, given the tenor of your response, IMO).

Brad,

Yes, there's a lot (IMO) that you're not picking up on here. Let me try another it another way.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I will say this only one more time........

You need to re-read this whole string with an open mind, and you need to look within yourself as to why you've said what you've said.

Then perhaps you can begin to comprehend why some others (and I am NOT one of them) have been less than kind in responding to what you've written.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't post in this forum very much...only cruise thru occasionally but I only expressed an opinion about Kilgore's post. Right, wrong, or otherwise...just an opinion. Nothing more & nothing less.

Have I offended you in some way? You keep insinuating that I should be gaining something from reading your posts...like some sort of enlightenment or something?

As for the "other posters climbed right up your arse" comment..I didn't really think anything of it. Who cares if they don't agree with me. Do you see me whining about it? It is an internet message board afterall.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The OP posted something & I gave a one line opinion...my opinion...and you & Katie both ask me why. So I elaborated. Now you & a couple others pulled out your self righteous soapbox & climbed up on it. I simply expressed my opinion on KT's post. Opinion are like excuses, everybody's got one.

[ QUOTE ]
You may think my statement above to be arrogant....

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOO Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything wrong with expressing your opinion. Afterall it's a discussion forum. However I think calling someone a "condescending prick" on his birthday is kind of harsh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] wouldn't you agree? And there was nothing in his post to even indicate he was condescending. It was just inference on your part. I also think Myrtle saying that people "climbed up your arse" is a little much. If someone said that to me it would make me mad. I don't even think it's true.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage people from offering their opinions in this forum. That's what it's here for. Just keep it civil (no calling anyone a prick [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and explain what you mean is all that I ask. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The OP posted something & I gave a one line opinion...my opinion...and you & Katie both ask me why. So I elaborated. Now you & a couple others pulled out your self righteous soapbox & climbed up on it. I simply expressed my opinion on KT's post. Opinion are like excuses, everybody's got one.

[ QUOTE ]
You may think my statement above to be arrogant....

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOO Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything wrong with expressing your opinion. Afterall it's a discussion forum. However I think calling someone a "condescending prick" on his birthday is kind of harsh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] wouldn't you agree? And there was nothing in his post to even indicate he was condescending. It was just inference on your part. I also think Myrtle saying that people "climbed up your arse" is a little much. If someone said that to me it would make me mad. I don't even think it's true.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage people from offering their opinions in this forum. That's what it's here for. Just keep it civil (no calling anyone a prick [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and explain what you mean is all that I ask. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katie, I was in no way calling KT a prick. I don't even know the man. I was simply using it for emphasis to the post.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM

My mistake then. I'm relieved. Sorry that I scolded you for calling the man a prick. I feel foolish now [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You sound like a sad & lonely person with a chip on your shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

? Who me or Kilgore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilgore

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share with us the reason you feel this way?

Don't take my question above as a challenge, as I'm not looking to get into a beef with you about it, but I take away the opposite sentiments from his post, and I'd really like to hear why you feel as you do.

I'll be 61 soon, and every day I seem to encounter more instances that support the old saying.....

.....Youth is wasted on the young.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitterness and regret are wasted on the old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever think that what you see as "bitterness & regret" in my post might not be that at all?

Trying to explain this is somewhat like expecting someone who is proficient in algebra to fully understand quantum physics without the training.

Let me try to be a bit more clear.......

The more that I have learned as I've made my way through this world, it has become clearer to me that the less I know.

Acknowledging reality and the disappointments that come with it is not bitterness.....It is clarity.

What one does with that clarity is an entirely different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good.

Seeing the limitations in things, including yourself, doesn't mean you're mandating them or ruling out possibilities. It's just means that you're starting to make sense and have a more coherent worldview. You may draw the lines of the possible further out or closer in, but realizing their existence and importance is foundational, not a surrender. It gives you a platform from which you can choose better goals and make a better, less trivial life. And maybe not just for yourself alone.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My mistake then. I'm relieved. Sorry that I scolded you for calling the man a prick. I feel foolish now [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologize.....was I supposed to feel scolded? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You need to work on that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Well Dan, hope you enjoyed your day off.

The only thing I would say about your post is that at 35 you are definitely not starting the back nine. Maybe you feel that way now but you're not. I'm 58 and I feel like maybe just now I'm starting the back nine.

I think you will find that the years you are approaching between your age and my age will be the best years of your life.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 PM

Myrtle and Fish, thanks for the replies.

I definitely better understand what you were talking about now. It is the sort of thing that really seems common sense, but I'm guessing that I just have no real clue because I'm not in the situation where I have to buy someone else the shoes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KT, I think you had a great OP. It may have spurned some wild tangent discussion (mine included), but it really is, in my opinion, a testament to how intriguing your post is. We get posts like this occasionally across the forums, but they always seem to offer something new and valuable.

I hope that you're enjoying it all (and you seem to be) and I also hope that it turns out you're really only on hole number 7 or so right now. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me for butting in here but what you are missing is that you are being an ahole, or at least that its the way it is coming across. When you put things into a message like "NOOOOOOOOO Really" it puts the picture of an ahole right next to you. Doesn't really matter if that is what you are trying to do or not, that is the way it seems to to others.

Everyone else is trying really hard to be nice about things and not call you names (because we are civilized here in the Lounge) but I think that is what is going on.

This reminds me so much of the confrontation I had with a guy a few months ago. He thought he was being treated a certain way because he was a minority and the only reason he was having a problem was because he was being an ahole.