Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Turning 35, or Starting the Back 9

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You sound like a sad & lonely person with a chip on your shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

? Who me or Kilgore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilgore
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

? Who me or Kilgore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilgore

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share with us the reason you feel this way?

Don't take my question above as a challenge, as I'm not looking to get into a beef with you about it, but I take away the opposite sentiments from his post, and I'd really like to hear why you feel as you do.

I'll be 61 soon, and every day I seem to encounter more instances that support the old saying.....

.....Youth is wasted on the young.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

? Who me or Kilgore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilgore

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take my question above as a challenge, as I'm not looking to get into a beef with you about it, but I take away the opposite sentiments from his post

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I had the same thought Myrtle. After coming home last night and reading some of the replies to KT's post I was kind of surprised. To me it was a cool post, right up my alley, but apparently other people only saw the bitterness in it. Go figure [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Actually, my immediate thoughts on reading KT's post were that he and I had similiar personality types. I would venture to say that a lot of youngest siblings feel this way, that we are sort of transparent to our families. I like the fact that KT is willing to accept it and to share his feelings on the board. Wish more people were like that actually as it does sort of help me out.

Oh and the thing that Brad said, it made me chuckle initially because I thought he was replying to me (No one has ever told me I have a chip on my shoulder! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I think it illustrates how very different people are and how we interpret things differently based on our personalities. To Brad, KT's post seems bitter and sad. To me, KT's post is just an honest reflection on some disappointments in life but acknowledgment that you have to live in the present and enjoy what you're given. And hell yeah, people can be problematic KT. I look at it as a test.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Well to me his post has a certain 'I don't like my life' tone to it. If I had to read between the lines, I'd say he seems tired of the rat race but still thinks he's smarter than everybody else at work since he has this high powered career. In turn, his co workers probably think he's a condescending prick. I'd bet he also can't enjoy a vacation since he can't be far away from a laptop, cell phone, blackberry, etc due to work obligations...that's why he got some degree of enjoyment out of raking leaves & watching birds feed. Obviously, he's real close to his family!!! In the end he'll just go buy a Porsche so he'll feel better. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well to me his post has a certain 'I don't like my life' tone to it. If I had to read between the lines, I'd say he seems tired of the rat race but still thinks he's smarter than everybody else at work since he has this high powered career. In turn, his co workers probably think he's a condescending prick. I'd bet he also can't enjoy a vacation since he can't be far away from a laptop, cell phone, blackberry, etc due to work obligations...that's why he got some degree of enjoyment out of raking leaves & watching birds feed. Obviously, he's real close to his family!!! In the end he'll just go buy a Porsche so he'll feel better. But that's just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is this crap? Someone posts a thoughtful, interesting post about life lessons and you go looking "between the lines" to find some perceived personality flaws?

Take that [censored] to OOT. I would hope that in the Lounge there would be more engaging with the substance of the post and less BS-psychonanalysis to ad hominem the poster.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with your assessment. I agree that there is a bleak outlook attached to KT's post (which is why I am not crazy about it). But, I don't think it's caused by the yuppie flu. Also, I don't think he is condescending or self-important.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is this crap? Someone posts a thoughtful, interesting post about life lessons and you go looking "between the lines" to find some perceived personality flaws?

Take that [censored] to OOT. I would hope that in the Lounge there would be more engaging with the substance of the post and less BS-psychonanalysis to ad hominem the poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you can't read, two different people asked me to expand on how I interpreted his post. So I did.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 PM

Nice post KT.

It is really interesting how life changes as one gets older. I am now 47 and so different as a person than I was at 21 that it is sometimes hard to believe it was me. I recognize many of the things you cover and in general notice that I am far more relaxed than I was back in my youth. I do not worry so much about little things and even big things do not seem as big because I have seen so much that I have already seen it and know how to handle it better.

Interesting thing about family. My family is mainly gone. My mom and Dad passed away several years ago and there is only one sister who is pretty far away and I do not see or talk to all that much. I think the only thing I would change about family would have been to have had a better relationship with my dad. I still have times where I miss him terribly and wish I could share my adventures with him. I still get a bit teary eyed when I stop and think about that.

Youth wasted on the young is a bit true as well. I SO wish I could go back and know what I know now! I also wish I had done things in my youth that I just can't do now either just physically or because of responsibilities to family which also limit what a person can do.

That raking the yard and feeding the birds thing is so true! I have found so much more enjoyment out of just sitting and relaxing and looking at stuff like Sunsets and things. The other day my wife and I were out for a drive hunting and we spotted a little 2X2 Whitetail buck who just didn't care that we were there. We stopped and watched him for 20 minutes or so and I laughed more than once because he was so darn cute. Years ago I would have just continued on thinking just that he was too small to shoot and we had to get going.

So, Anyway, good post. Thank You for sharing!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

? Who me or Kilgore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kilgore

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take my question above as a challenge, as I'm not looking to get into a beef with you about it, but I take away the opposite sentiments from his post, and I'd really like to hear why you feel as you do.

I'll be 61 soon, and every day I seem to encounter more instances that support the old saying.....

.....Youth is wasted on the young.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitterness and regret are wasted on the old.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[psych101]
I don't mind the psychoanalysis, but it needs to be more firmly rooted. For some psychoanalysis of my own, I sense a very strong resentment on Brad's part of OP's doing reasonably well financially. And I still think the original dig was made mostly because it was easy and felt clever. But now it looks like there was some resentment of another person doing well financially behind it, too.
[/psych101]