Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 AM

Default One Card Poker

I think this game is interesting for applications to more complicated poker games.

Each player antes $1 and has over $1 billion in front of them. The button is switched back and forth each round. They are each dealt one card face down. Betting is done via a No Limit structure, with the minimum bet as $0.01. Highest card at showdown wins.

To extend it further, you can rank cards by suits (to give 52 different possible hands and increase the strategy potential) or add millions of hands via a random number generator.

What basic strategy would you employ? This game seems highly mathematical, so it seems like something that a bot could play against other bots for millions of hands. Maybe start with a simple strategy and discuss ways to exploit that, and so on.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: One Card Poker

Deal me out
Old 11-12-2007, 02:47 AM

Is there a limit to the number of raises?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 AM

"i want to be like sklansky but i'm not totally sure how"
Old 11-12-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a limit to the number of raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 AM

yes absolutely intriguing im rushing to apply this to my normal NL game already
Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 AM

Would be better if everybody put their card on their foreheads so all the others players could see it and bet for that.

Forgot what they call this but played it years ago and we all about died laughing when everybody had low cards and the guy with a 2 kept betting.

Anyway, to start with stategy with this game would be to figure the excat expectation for every card and bet accordingly. Then pick out how ever many cards to bluff with to raise that expectaion.

Postion would be crucial here I would think.

Would be fun but winning would be based on reading players and not really the card you have I would say.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would be better if everybody put their card on their foreheads so all the others players could see it and bet for that.

Forgot what they call this but played it years ago and we all about died laughing when everybody had low cards and the guy with a 2 kept betting.

Anyway, to start with stategy with this game would be to figure the excat expectation for every card and bet accordingly. Then pick out how ever many cards to bluff with to raise that expectaion.

Postion would be crucial here I would think.

Would be fun but winning would be based on reading players and not really the card you have I would say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the game was called "Indian," and there is nothing funnier on this earth than someone with a 2 or a three on his head tossing big bets in the pot.

As for the original game, it sounds like heads-up poker with slightly different rules. I can't see any major implications, other than I'd be really pissed if we were a billion deep and the other guy was betting pennies.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Each player antes $1 and has over $1 billion in front of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this game there is virtually no ante, as they are absolutely nothing with respect to the stack sizes and it is a no limit game. So for me, the bluffs will probably not exist as there is no reward, and it will probably turn into a long wait to get the nuts.

Regards ...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM

if you have the 8h+ bet the pot. if he pushes, only call with the As. If he reraises, and he's a bot, reraise any Q+, if he reraises, reraise only As and Ah. if he reraises he has the nuts. Lolz.