Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Why did we get different races under Christianity.

My friend and I was debating on the topic about different races if we followed Christianity. It says the first two humans were Adam and Eve, so supposedly they are white or any other race for that matter, moving along, how did we get other races like asian, african, etc. Could it be one of their offspring somewhere along the way had like a sunburn or something and the child got some of his properties? And it kept going?

And also, take away Christianity. How did we get different races under human evolution?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Why did we get different races under Christianity.

[ QUOTE ]

My friend and I was debating on the topic about different races if we followed Christianity. It says the first two humans were Adam and Eve, so supposedly they are white or any other race for that matter, moving along, how did we get other races like asian, african, etc. Could it be one of their offspring somewhere along the way had like a sunburn or something and the child got some of his properties? And it kept going?

[/ QUOTE ]

sunburned people don't give birth to sunburned children. That's not how heredity works at all.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Christians believe that the Mark of Cain was a darkening of his skin by God , as punishment for killing his brother. All his seed are also punished for his sin. Asians, I suppose, must be just halfway sinful.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 AM

It could have been the Christian answer though; they wouldn't let reality get in the way.

A sunburn story actually sounds like it could have come right from the bible, with men created from dirt and women materialising from ribs.

The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints apparently believe native americans were coloured by God for murdering the natives.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints apparently believe native americans were coloured by God for murdering the natives.

[/ QUOTE ] You mean the wicked natives ( the lamenites ) were coloured for killing the rightious natives ( the nephites ) That's fair isn't it?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:26 AM

I wouldn't judge a hypothetical judgement. It wouldn't be unfair for colour to have come through hereditary sunburn.

I think OPs second question is much more useful.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm going to guess that reproductive selection led to paler skin in geographical areas where it didn't impede life expectancy.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't judge a hypothetical judgement. It wouldn't be unfair for colour to have come through hereditary sunburn.

I think OPs second question is much more useful.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm going to guess that reproductive selection led to paler skin in geographical areas where it didn't impede life expectancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The body produces vitamin E from sunlight. The stronger the sunlight the more melanin you need to protect yourself from the suns damage. It a balance between these two interests that most likely caused skin color change, which also explains the geographic differences, i.e. closer to the equater darker the skin.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

how did we get other races like asian, african, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro-evolution.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

how did we get other races like asian, african, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Micro-evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which mutations are barred under 'rules of microevolution'? Could a chicken develop web feet? Could a chicken develop a wider bill? Could a chicken with web feet develop a wider bill?
Top of the head examples, do what you can with the idea.

thanks, luckyme
Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Which mutations are barred under 'rules of microevolution'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those which God didn't program.