Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Dinosaurs on Mars?

While reading an report titled "NASA Rover Finds Surprising Evidence for Mars' Watery Past" I came upon the following quote - "Unless we find a dinosaur bed, we're not going to be able to [find signs of past life] in situ very easily," Craddock said. Instead, samples would need to be returned to an Earth lab for more study, he said.

It got me thinking, what if we did find evidence of dinosaurs existing on Mars. Not just any sort of life, but specifically dinosaurs. Would that change anyone's opinion on evolution?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Dinosaurs on Mars?

Why would it? I'm not aware of a lot of middle ground on the subject. You either believe it or don't, facts don't really come into play.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would it? I'm not aware of a lot of middle ground on the subject. You either believe it or don't, facts don't really come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean - there are no facts for evolution?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean - there are no facts for evolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean the people who don't believe in evolution generally don't disbelieve it because there isn't enough data to support it. They tend to disbelieve on religious grounds. While some will say the same thing about those who believe in it, more facts that support it won't make them believe in it less.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:29 PM

My thought process is that both the Earth and Mars probably had very similar conditions several billion years ago. The fact the similar life forms 'evolved' would in my mind be further proof of evolution. There is no mention of life on other planets, no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible. To have the same creature 'created' by God on two different planets without mention seems to offer less proof of a religious explanation.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 PM

Wait, you mean actuall the "same" dinosaurs as on Earth? That would be like the Babblefish, so improbable as to be proof of God.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Yeah, if we found actual T-rexes and velociraptors on Mars, that would be a gigantic strike at the bedrock of evolution. It would also be really, really cool.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While reading an report titled "NASA Rover Finds Surprising Evidence for Mars' Watery Past" I came upon the following quote - "Unless we find a dinosaur bed, we're not going to be able to [find signs of past life] in situ very easily," Craddock said. Instead, samples would need to be returned to an Earth lab for more study, he said.

It got me thinking, what if we did find evidence of dinosaurs existing on Mars. Not just any sort of life, but specifically dinosaurs. Would that change anyone's opinion on evolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

They forgot to mention it in the bible, but they meant to say that if we find evidence of dinosaurs existing on Mars, then God just put it there to test us.

In any case, if there were dinosaurs on Mars, they would have got in there spaceships and visited us already. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They forgot to mention it in the bible, but they meant to say that if we find evidence of dinosaurs existing on Mars, then God just put it there to test us.

In any case, if there were dinosaurs on Mars, they would have got in there spaceships and visited us already. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No dice. Short little arms.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 PM

If dinosaur fossils are found on Mars, it will be because God put them there to test our faith. Just like on Earth.