Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Money. Bored. Evolution.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure what your "how did evolution evolve"

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's ok to ask where the absolute, eternal, uncreated Creator of the universe came from it's ok to ask where evolution came from.

Is that uncryptic enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Evolution is just our best attempt at describing what has already happened. It didn't come from anywhere. The species that we see today are the ones who could survive various environmental conditions.

I think the who created the creator argument is kind of dumb too though. It shouldn't really matter. We observe this universe and from that we might posit a creator God. Something might have created that God, but that isn't necessarily relevant to this universe's existence. A better argument would try to show why we have no sound reason for positing this creator God in the first place.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'll let the various longtime smp posters decide who is most worthy of this experiment in education should there be multiple takers...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should spend your 5k educating kids who still have a chance at becoming an intelligent, rational human being. Why waste time and money with lost cases such as NR?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are almost certainly right, and you've made me feel a little guilty, and rash. Nonetheless, I don't retract offers, I still think it will be interesting, we all waste money sometimes, etc. And hey...trickle down, right...I'm paying hard-core christians, after all...surely some will go to charity [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
[ QUOTE ]

Of course then again if it's just an experiment I don't know why you used the word "worthy".

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I sometimes choose my words poorly. Perhaps 'most appropriate for this experiment'. It's interesting, actually, the range of possibilities...
Old 05-25-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a creationist because I believe it to be the very best explanation of our universe. Not because God will smite me if I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this created in 6 days = best explanation

All of this created over billions of years = not best explanation

Really? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not created over billions of years. Manifested on its own out of nothingness. To create something would require a creator. Evolution denies a creator of any kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

What created the creator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a creator God need to be created? It's above time.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the problem isnt the number of years or days, but the fact that the universe is finite directly contradicts evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

....WHAT?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you agree with the kalam argument, then for evolution to be true you would need an eternal, infinite universe. We know that the universe is finite, so it breaks down the very foundation of evolution's view of the universe.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 PM

I think the main point of the anti-evolution crowds is that things like social-darwinism, ie killing people or letting them die, is given scientific credibility, paradoxically enough.

On the other hand the church as done a lot of killing.

I think the point that can be taken from all this is that people and organizations are pretty rotten and anything that can mitigate the evil in human beings is probably better than nothing.

I mean really, evolution is pretty meaningless in and of itself, it just takes on importance in relation to other things that it has no direct relationship to. (morality stuff mostly)
Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure what your "how did evolution evolve"

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's ok to ask where the absolute, eternal, uncreated Creator of the universe came from it's ok to ask where evolution came from.

Is that uncryptic enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes thank you.

Evolution isn't a thing, it's a process that we've given a name to, so I don't think your point holds. However I think that you're trying to say that it's not ok to ask where the creator came from and I agree with that. It's also not ok to ask where our existence came from as an argument for a creator. But now as I look back at the originall Inso0 post that I was responding to, I see I misread his post and he wasn't actually arguing that. I apologize for the confusion I have created.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We observe this universe and from that we might posit a creator God. Something might have created that God, but that isn't necessarily relevant to this universe's existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Evolution isn't a thing, it's a process

[/ QUOTE ]

But why this process? It isn't logically required, it's contingent, so how did it get here, evolve, come into being? If it's always existed, why is it there and not some other process? Or any process?

Just a hint on all this - if God is absolute, eternal Creator who created the laws of nature then the laws of nature don't apply to Him and so He doesn't need a creator Himself since He wasn't created.

Or stated differently, God doesn't need an explanation because He is the explanation for everything else. Difficult to make that case for evolution.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Evolution isn't a thing, it's a process

[/ QUOTE ]

But why this process? It isn't logically required, it's contingent, so how did it get here, evolve, come into being? If it's always existed, why is it there and not some other process? Or any process?

Just a hint on all this - if God is absolute, eternal Creator who created the laws of nature then the laws of nature don't apply to Him and so He doesn't need a creator Himself since He wasn't created.

Or stated differently, God doesn't need an explanation because He is the explanation for everything else. Difficult to make that case for evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Boro make a post (since often quoted) demonstrating to you how evolution is actually logically required?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Didn't Boro make a post

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?