Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Money. Bored. Evolution.

[ QUOTE ]
What do we mean by evolution is false?

I typically fall into the group of posters that you mentioned, but I'm not sure where I'd land on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You very well may, that would be my impression.
This offer is completely legit, but obviously we need to flesh out the details.

No gimmick accounts, boys...
If vhawk, borodog, or anyone else would like to help with the suggestions on details and who is 'eligible' and how I should judge completion (once somebody has expressed genuine interest), It would be appreciated.

And of course, I'm willing to deposit funds with a long-time poster on whom we can agree.

I don't know what my intent is, beyond spreading knowledge, but of course, it would be nice if whoever completes this would discuss it here afterwards.

Also, I'll let the various longtime smp posters decide who is most worthy of this experiment in education should there be multiple takers...
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its arahant's 5 grand, though, so I'll let him decide. I had no idea he was wealthy enough to make this challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than I need, less than I deserve [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Interested in helping? Is KUjustin a good guinea pig, ya think?

It was that 'brachiasourus' post from Inso that really got me going [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 PM

dang...user post histories only go back 200 posts.
If you do want to take this on, let me know and I will look up your posts.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 PM

arahant, pm sent.

tl;dr: I'm a fundamentalist Christian who hasn't ruled out evolution, but generally doesn't consider it a sufficient explanation for the creation around him. I also have too much time and not enough money.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM

You can pay a horse to go to water...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can pay a horse to go to water...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm well aware.
And even if you could make them drink, it won't change the world. I think the subject of my post says it all.

Though I am extremely interested in finding out how this goes. I think (or hope) it will be educational for all.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 AM

Interesting idea. The only way to properly test is a set of detailed questions answered in real time over AIM (say with a 1 minute time limit), and a set of pre written answers for a third party to check the responses against. You could also do in a public chat room where we can watch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

It'd be fun to see someone slightly more kooky than Justin, but it's your money of course.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 AM

I'd really like to do this, I don't really believe evolution is false though. I'm not exactly "against" evolution, so much as know absolutely nothing about the science. I might have the most absurd collection of posts in SMP history, though, so that might be a point in my favor.

I am busto, and would be willing to start cracking away immediately and finish in a (relatively) quick amount of time. arahant: help me create my first intelligent post(s) in my 2+2 history! please to be considering?

Side note: estimates on time to complete the readings?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 AM

i probably don't post here enough/fundamentalist enough to qualify, but i would be willing to read up more on evolution.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:13 AM

Hahaha, I'm flattered to find out that I'm not considered a complete kook on this board.

Whenever the topic of non-believers going to heaven comes up I feel like the sentiment is quite the opposite. Maybe you all just think I'm an a-hole rather than crazy though.

Anyway, good to find out I'm sane. Maybe if I can get 10 offers like this I can use the 50k to take on DSklans. I'm pretty sure I can ace the ACT math in half time with a little practice.