Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Dog Advice on \"De-Crating\"

Cliff notes at bottom.

My wife and I have had our dog Sam (at work, no pics, sorry) for a little less than two years now. He was 1.5 years old when we got him, so he's just over 3 now.

Since we both work during the day, we bought him a relatively large crate that he stays in during the daytime. It's larger than recommended because I didn't want him to only be able to stand up and turn around.

We're at the point now where we're not sure that he needs to be crated anymore during the day, but we're a little lost in terms of what "freedom" to give him at first and how to implement it. He's a well behaved dog, and has never had an accident in his crate. However, he was on a farm before we got him, so he wasn't housetrained and did have a few accidents in the house in the first two weeks or so, but there's been nothing since.

I've found plenty of information about crate-training, but little on "de-crating." Does anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks.

TL;DR: My wife and I don't think our dog needs to be crated during the day anymore, but aren't sure if there's a good way to implement his new stay-at-home freedom. Suggestions welcome.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Dog Advice on \"De-Crating\"

My wife and I put our dog in an unused room in the house and closed the door when we de-crated him. No problem. I wouldn't just give him the run of the house. Do you have a laundry room or something where you can test it?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Baby gates are very useful for limiting access to areas of the house. We keep our dog in the kitchen, but it requires you to have a single doorway to the kitchen (or area that you want to keep you dog in). I would definitely not give your dog free reign of the house. A bored dog given options can be a naughty dog.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:19 PM

Alot of people say that dog's actually like the security that being crated provides.

Anyway, to de-crate your dog I would gate him in (using a baby gate) to a bathroom or similiar small sized & tiled room. I also would not take his crate away. Leave it in there for him, but with the door open and not closed & locked. That way he can still go in and out of there when he wants. Assuming the dog behaves, gradually allow him access to more and more of the house. I wouldn't just take his crate away completely.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:15 PM

If you can, dog-proof the room where the crate lives, and just take the door off the crate. My dog loves his crate, and still chooses to sleep there most night. (It's next to my bed).
-Sam