Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: could US collapse like the USSR did ?

No way, countries don't just go and collapse. USSR collapsed because it was run by an extremely unnatural and inefficient regime, and was rotted out from the inside out. The country could no longer satisfy the basic needs of its population, which is kinda sucky for a communist government. The trouble that US is in, real and potential, does not even come close to USSR's troubles.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 AM

"Don't any of you socialized healthcare advocates realize that your medical breakthroughs are coming on the backs of my private health insurance dollars?"

How efficent is this system exactly?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No way, countries don't just go and collapse. USSR collapsed because it was run by an extremely unnatural and inefficient regime, and was rotted out from the inside out. The country could no longer satisfy the basic needs of its population, which is kinda sucky for a communist government. The trouble that US is in, real and potential, does not even come close to USSR's troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if say perhaps,

1) Oil trading was shifted to euros vice $$$
then
2) China dumped its gazillionity Tbills back onto the market
then
3) $ plunges into rapid freefall
then
4) US econmy pluges into massive depression type recession
then
5) significant chunks of population can no longer afford to feed their families let alone their "lifestyle"
6) Government can longer even pay the military forces who now get to fight foreign wars whilst their families are starving and fighting back at home.

Yeah, pretty far fetched. Can't happen.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i believe so. The U.S. has bitten off more than it can chew and we will soon see a depression that will make 1929 look like 1995. And we will party like its 1999.

i don't know what i'm talking about..

[/ QUOTE ]

1929 was just a market correction. The great depression (in terms of depth and length) had for more to do with the federal government [censored] around trying to "fix" things, not realizing that the UE numbers, price changes and bankruptcies were fixing the fundamental problems and needed to happen. We have tons of infrastructure, knowledge and available capital, the only way a massive 15 year depression occurs is if the government continues to interfere with the correction.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if say perhaps,

then
then
then
then
5) significant chunks of population can no longer afford to feed their families let alone their "lifestyle"
6) Government can longer even pay the military forces who now get to fight foreign wars whilst their families are starving and fighting back at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I hate it, the FED is going to do its job, here. The deposits in the bank are guaranteed. There is going to be no capital market implosion. The only thing that is going to happen is that a bunch of money that got loaned out to shaky mortgages is going to get lost. The capital markets are very diverse and are not solely dependant on the mortgage sector.

As for your oil shifted to euros premise, the worlds largest oil producers are not going to put their security in the hands of the European Union. The European Union cannot possibly deliver on that promise. You have to think about the reason why oil is traded in dollars to begin with. It's because the US has the muscle to protect that arrangement. To think that Europe, after centuries of war and animosity between its member states is going to pull together and stand up to deliver on a promise like that is absurd.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if say perhaps,

then
then
then
then

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I hate it, the FED is going to do its job, here. The deposits in the bank are guaranteed. There is going to be no capital market implosion. The only thing that is going to happen is that a bunch of money that got loaned out to shaky mortgages is going to get lost. The capital markets are very diverse and are not solely dependant on the mortgage sector.

As for your oil shifted to euros premise, the worlds largest oil producers are not going to put their security in the hands of the European Union. The European Union cannot possibly deliver on that promise. You have to think about the reason why oil is traded in dollars to begin with. It's because the US has the muscle to protect that arrangement. To think that Europe, after centuries of war and animosity between its member states is going to pull together and stand up to deliver on a promise like that is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so certain about the FED. They just cut rates twice (printing more money) with the $ at longtime lows. They are feeding the devaluation of the currency instead of actally stabalizing it. The gubment continues to spend more and more and more of imaginary money it does not have racking up enormous debt.

It will only take a few crisis of confidence for a snowball effect.

As for muscle to back up the promise, what happens when they can no longer afford to pay the people who man that muscle in anything other than a hyperinflating currency? Do you think they are going to stick around?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if say perhaps,

then
then
then
then

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your last statement. USSR fell apart for many more reasons than just currency collapse. US is on a much more fundamentally sound ground than USSR ever was.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM

No chance of US collapsing...but the recession will be greater then the 30's that everyone will agree. It is now time for Americans to realize they aren't this great Super power and start practicing what they preach. "Buy American made" to start....most of the people that are critical of what is happening shop at stores like Walmart which based on it's imports from China would make it the 9th largest country buying from there if it where a country. Americans have to start investing in themselves if they want to survive. In Canada where I am from we have laws to protect over saturation and keep a Canadian content provision. I can tell you that myself like many other Canadians are feasting on the bargains in the property market in the excited states. I just bought waterfront 1.5 acres in northern California for 1/2 of the last purchase price. This is what happens when Americans think 0 down and blended 40yr mortgages with 3-5yr teaser rates are a good idea....my 5 yr old could have figured that scenario wasn't good.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM

lolol @ this thread
Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Canada where I am from we have laws to protect over saturation and keep a Canadian content provision.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? All the shows on CBC that no one watches?