Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 AM

Default Professor backwards

Bay101 20:

I'm sitting at the worst table in 6 months. Everyone is tight and aggressive, there is no loose money whatsoever. I've sat 3 orbits w/o playing a hand, folding my blinds. My image is pretty darn tight. Finally I get a hand:

I open 99 UTG. Folded around to button who 3-bets. Button is very solid, he is as nitty as me, perhaps even moreso. He has TT+ or a very big Ace. Blinds fold, I call.

Flop is A-9-4 rainbow. BINGO! I check, he bets, I raise, he pauses for 2 seconds. Looks like he's debating to 3-bet and then just calls.

Turn is a 2 (no flush). I check, because I know if I bet he will either raise of fold, neither of which I particularly like. If he has an A/K he should bet, if he has QQ- he will probably fold (he can be persuaded to fold fairly easily). I haven't decided yet if I'm check-raising this turn or not.

Villain gives me a "wtf?" look, and takes about 5 seconds before he decides to check. I've seen him hollywood a very obvious betting decision in the past, so this doesn't mean much.

River is a 7, I insta-bet, he insta-raises. WTF? Now that I've f'd up this line, do we 3-town or just call?

Comments on all streets? I think the turn check is a mistako grande, but what do we do if we bet, get raised. Call and then just c/c river? Call, bet river? 3-town?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Professor backwards

Id 3 town, but I cant help myself, I dont flop enough sets to not go crazy when I get them. Would you 3 town a K hi flush? Aside from the straight possibility you have the 2nd nuts.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 AM

The whole point of c/r the flop is to bet/3bet the turn. You made this hand far too complicated and out-thought yourself. Once you c/r flop you shouldn't be worried about him folding TT-KK, you should be concerned with how big your pot will be if he has a big Ace.

BTW I think the way to maximize value against his whole range after this flop is to c/c flop and bet the turn. People are generally really dumb and they'll be offended by your turn donk and likely to call down with TT-KK. He will of course raise his big Aces allowing you to 3bet.

River is a retardedly easy 3bet as played, whether he has AK or AA he played his hand like a moron and there are a lot more ways to have a big Ace than AA.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 AM

All-Aboard
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM

I shouldn't post hands right before I sleep. This is what happens when you have a 3 month old baby...

Turn was a K!. I think this changes the hand?!?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Easy three bet on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't decided yet if I'm check-raising this turn or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, have you figured it out yet? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Turn as played was a c/r, but I would have bet/three bet. Then you thought "BINGO" you knew what to do, then you started over thinking.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

3-town baby.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 AM

The king does change things but it doesn't mean a river 3-bet isn't good. I don't understand why he didn't bet on the turn. Slowplaying a set there is ridiculous, so I guess he didn't want to get check-raised again.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM

He may have thought he was invincible with AK and hoped you catch a little something on the river to call his bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Throughout this hand I felt like we were playing 10th level mental jiujiutsu or something.

But after the hand was over I realized we were just two guys in those fake sumo outfits banging bellies against each other.