Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: How Does Helmuth not get punch in the mouth?

Ok I see your point. I think that would be hilarious to say that to Phil Hellmuth and see what his reaction would be. Well I think the line in the sand is poker. As long as it is poker related I think its fine as it's basically a tool to put your opponents on tilt/annoyed. He berates a lot of people about how they play but never talks bad about their families etc...Atleast I've never seen him do that but I don't know for sure.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 PM

Two words: Sam Grizzle.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 PM

maybe its bc phil is like 6'7" or something?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOu are missing my point. Point being where is the "line". Why is what he says ok but making references to how his wife looks like a wh0re or his kids ride the short bus not ok. I am not saying it is right, it is in fact wrong in my book. The point I am attempting to make is to give it back to him in a manner that will set him off much the same way he is attempting to set others off. That is what I am getting at. I mean can you imagine if after Helmuth said some of the things he said at the table the young kid to his left leaned over and whispered "hey Phil, your wife looks like a transvestite whore who enjoys the pipe". Just audible enough for Phil to hear. How hilarious would that be? Can you imagine Phils reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be [censored] hilarious if somebody said something like that to him (because of the train wreck that would ensue).

That being said, I hope you aren't saying you don't see the difference between talking about somebody's wife and kids and telling somebody they made a bad play in poker. The latter may start some verbal sparring. The former are nothing less than fighting words.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Can we all stop saying "a schtick"? It's not "a schtick". It's just "schtick". Or you can say it's part of his schtick. There's a difference. It's the same thing as a comedian doing "material". He doesn't do "a material".

My nit for the month.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM

I don't think it's the same as "material"

The comedian has new material.

The comedian has new schtick. <Doesn't work.

The comedian has A new schtick. <works.

I don't use the word anyways, mostly because it's 2007, but if we're going to get nitty...Let's get nitty correctly.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 PM

I wasn't trying to equate the two. You're right, though. A new schtick is correct. However, comedians are always coming up with new material (or should be), but their schtick is much more static. Someone's schtick is more like their personality. It's not changed so easily. There are comedians that need a new schtick, but they probably never will come up with one.

Hellmuth's schtick is to berate people and whine. When he has new lines for doing so, he has new material, but it's the same old schtick. My opinion: Hellmuth's schtick is annoying, but it probably helps him win and definitely brings him attention that translates into $.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We short people would need to punch him in the stomach.
Can't reach his mouth.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 PM

The best strategy in poker besides how you play your cards is to get your opponent outside of their comfort zone. Most players are comfortable sitting quietly and observing, and not by constantly chatting and/or bickering. It also takes away a significant portion of your attention from the other players and your read of them as well. Phil doesn't want you to be comfortable at the table; a condition where you will play your best poker against him.

Anything Phil says at a table has a purpose, even if the specific words may not be that thought out. He knows that a little adrenaline will create at least slightly hurried or rushed decisions, and when he finally catches you on an over-play, he will double up through you. That coincides with his "small pot" strategy; he wants to make sure he has a decent stack at least, so that when he doubles up through your one mistake, it will be a strong double up.

When examining your cards, you must do so without emotion. Sometimes A hi is good down to the river, sometimes KK is beat preflop, even though we all think the pot is ours when we look down and see those cowboys. When Phil, or anyone, constantly criticizes your play, you must take it as emotionless as possible, as though he is simply an actor portaying a total jerk in a movie; treat the tyrades as though you are an acting instructor assigning a grade to one of your students... a student who is doing his best impression of Phil Helmuth.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We short people would need to punch him in the balls.
Can't reach his mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP