Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

[ QUOTE ]
quick question: I am thinking of taking my wife to sf for her birthday weekend in july. many of the hotels on expedia are 2-3 blocks from union square, is this an ok area to stay? I'm mainly interested in easy public transportation access, and not a super ghetto area.

[/ QUOTE ]

East of Union Square is good, as is south. As you move north (assuming it's not Nob Hill, which will often be separately designated as its own neighborhood) you'll start hitting Chinatown. 2-3 blocks west isn't a particularly good neighborhood. Lots of homeless but if that doesn't bother you it's perfectly safe.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:03 AM

In SF there's transportation all over, but Union Square is a nice area, right by the piers and not far from Market Street.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Union Square is a great place for tourists to stay, near shopping, public transportation, cable cars, China Town, North Beach, etc.

It of course depends on the final hotel. There's nothing outright bad I don't think, but there are places that are better than others.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Whenever I'm in SF I always make sure to stop at Gordo's for a burrito. There are two locations in the city, one is at 9th and Lincoln, the other I'm not sure about. If you guys haven't tried this place I highly recommend it. The Carnitas Burrito is fantastic.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Didn't end up going to Flytrap. Did go to the bike shop though. And the whole foods right there is the best I've ever been to.

FWIW the braised short rib at Myth was awesome. Oysters funky-bad, sweetbread/bacon/quail egg OK. Walu boring (lol, why did my younger brother order this?). "strawberry soup" not actually soup or worth $9. Souffle was pretty good.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I'm in SF I always make sure to stop at Gordo's for a burrito. There are two locations in the city, one is at 9th and Lincoln, the other I'm not sure about. If you guys haven't tried this place I highly recommend it. The Carnitas Burrito is fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

one's on Geary somewhere between 22-25th ave. and another one's on Clement around the high teens ave.
They're not bad, but I think other people already mentioned much better.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:58 PM

If one is gay, and familiar with Armistead Maupin's books...

....check out the Endup
Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM

taking my wife for her bday to sf, got lots of great suggestions here, anyone have any last minute suggestions for any particularly romantic things to do or places to get a drink?

my very rough current plan is:
- arrive thurs morning, check in, breakfast at one of the places mentioned probably the french bakery
- tour anchor steam, lunch at farolito or similar
- dinner at slanted door

saturday I'm planning for a farmer's market picnic on angel island. friday is pretty open, we've done alcatraz so maybe we'll just explore the city and I'll take her shopping.

any last minute suggestions?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 PM

turnip,

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/

They have reservations for 2 available on Friday night for an upscale awesome vegetarian dinner.

Americano (across the street from the Ferry Building where Slanted Door is) is a nice semi-swanky place to grab a cocktail, especially out on the patio if it's a nice day. Pier 23 down the street is a more casual place to grab beers on a nice sunny day.

Plenty of other great bar suggestions in this thread. Gimme a call when you're here.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:18 PM

A lot of good information and I agree with a lot of it. My two cents...

Sushi Groove South was great, my friends brother in law (Demetrios) was the head sushi chef and he left, haven't been back since.

Tommy's is cool, Julio, the bartender has traveled throughout Mexico and has written books on tequila and seems to know just about everything about it.

Tradr Sams, right near Tommy's has good drinks, especially if you get to know anyone there, they will pour really stiff ones.

I agree on Gino and Carlo's- cool old bar.

Golden Boy Pizza on Green St. is the best for late night slice in that area.

Bocce Cafe nearby is pretty good but very reasonably priced.

House of Nanking (on Columbus?) is a hole in the wall with incredible food.

Frascati restaurant on Hyde St. cable car line is great- good date place.

Green Apple books on Clement in Inner Richmond is the best book store.

Gleneagles GC is a 9 hole course that will eat your lunch- just don't take a wrong turn- its right next to the projects. Kids will sometimes hop the fence to steal your ball. The first time I played there, this happened to me and I chased him down. A regular there told me never to do that unless you want to get shot. Lincoln Park GC is also cool, in lousy shape but incredible views of the city and GG Bridge.

For BarBQ I like Dougs on 37th and San Pablo in Oakland/Emeryville (its also close to the Oaks Card Club) I don't like Everett and Jones BarBQ.

Soi Four Restaurant on College in Oakland has the best Thai I've ever had. Zachary's pizza is nearby if you like Chicago style.

On the outer limits of the Bay Area, I think Pt. Reyes has the best hiking and scenery. Tennessee Valley in Mill Valley is also cool for biking and hiking.