Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Default SNG versus Cash Question

Question/scenario for all:

I am a cash player, previously playing up to $1/2 NL with a consistent 4ptbb success, up to 3 tabling. I am kind of getting back into things, and maybe looking for a change/new challenge from cash games. Before I improved my cash game I use to dabble in sit and goes, including ring, 6max, HU SNGs, however from reading SST posts, it looks like players are migrating from SNGs to cash here and here for various reasons.

Some more info, in cash I generally play a TAG style with slight LAG tendencies depending on table conditions. I haven't had success multitabling cash over 3 tables (just can't seem to do it!), but I have had multitabling SNGs and even lower stakes csh greater than 3 tables in the past. Currently working with a $2600 bankroll, playing $.50/1, 3 tabling.

Any thoughts/arguements/suggestions for switching to SNGs or MMTs, other then for a change of pace? Along with suggestion for SNG levels? Or is staying in cash games the way to go these days? A thought I had was that I seem to pull off multitabling 6-7 tables in SNGs, but can't do more then 3 in cash, and might be able to improve profits along with a change of scene.

Thanx in advance...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: SNG versus Cash Question

what is your hourly rate 3-tabling a .50/1 cash game?

what is your hourly rate 7-tabling a $20or$30?? SNG?

figure that out and you will have your answer.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Well SNGs are the unknown for me, as I haven't played them since I've had success as a cash player, and I don't have enough sample size. But based on the fact I am a winning player up to $1/2 NL cash, any thoughts on transition in the world of SNGs, as they are kind of a different animal..

My $.50/1 cash hourly rate 4ptBB 3 tabling would be around $15-16/hr.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM

IF you are already comfortable in cash i would just stay there. Why move to something different when you are already proven to win what your doing now?

Also sngs are a bit limited unless you are willing to become great, and even if you do get to that point the high stakes stt's don't even run much anymore. So your investing time in something that is somewhat capped at what you can make, where as cash the highest ranks are very very high.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM

with a 2500 dollar BR, u can probably comfortably play 33s. So if you can obtain an ROI of 10%, 3.3 dollars a game, playing 3 at a time, 9h games, turbo, you can probably clear 6 games an hour, and makes about $20/hr (+27%RB= $22/hr)

10% is kinda high if "SNGs are the unknown for" you. and I agree with Takeovers comments. Financially, you should probably stick with Cash.

good luck either way
Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 PM

I think that you should probably be starting out around the $27s or $35s. If youre good you could be making $15-$30/hr at that level. Make sure you understand the implications of ICM and how it affects early, late and bubble play before you jump in too hard.

I disagree with other posters who say that you should just stick to cash. Its not like youre getting married to SNGs for the rest of your life, and you may find that this is more your style.

Honestly though, the best way to answer the question for yourself is to just play some SNGs and see how you like it/ how well you do.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly though, the best way to answer the question for yourself is to just play some SNGs and see how you like it/ how well you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

True that, thanks for the feedback everyone...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:13 AM

If you are learning sngs I recommend learning the mtt game at the same time since there are a lot of aspects that work for both. If you are decent at the big mtts as well as stuff like 45s you will be able to find a lot more action when you mix them with your sng sessions.