Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Razz trny advice, please

[ QUOTE ]
So, out of a hundred tournaments, how often do you expect to win if you are playing at the same level of competence as your competition?

[/ QUOTE ]

1% of the time. Hopefully, you aspire to play somewhat better than your competition.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM

wow, you guys are all not even close

this is such a snap raise it's not even funny
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate? What's good about raising here?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See! I was right! Nittiest dumbass trny player in the universe! 'Splain it to us Adanthar..please.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM

almost 20% of your stack is in the pot + only three lows out + 2 of your cards are dead + people play weak tight on FT bubbles = stick it in

also, if they just call third, chances are your hole cards won't matter because you'll either fold fourth or have the best hand
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, if they just call third, chances are your hole cards won't matter because you'll either fold fourth or have the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that... I get people just calling me ALL THE TIME with hands I'd gladly cap with.

If someone raises 3rd, should he fold?

And lastly, yeah, the pot represents a nice addition to his stack. But also, 1sb represents a sizable loss.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1% of the time. Hopefully, you aspire to play somewhat better than your competition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, I do aspire. But when we get to the last 20 players in the trny, if it isn't a $1, I'm probably not better - but I might learn to be, or just get lucky, or not get thrown and realize OF COURSE you raise with this hand.

I can tell you why. Because chip leaders let no one play for free at that level. They will always raise with any two wheels or 6 and any other card. Because no one else is going to come in unless they have a real good hand, no one is going to play 678 then. Because once the table starts to get short everyone gets incredibly tight but the experienced chip leaders who run all over everyone else waiting for a hand because no one else can afford to speculate. Because I don't have time.

In this trny, right after this, I caught the bring-in FOUR times in a row. It was real ugly. I passed up my chance and deserved to go out 14th.

edited to add: this was PStars and they play a little differently than FT I find
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone raises 3rd, should he fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

"it depends"

tip in case you don't: it's ok to c/f fourth even in a reraised pot here if you wind up with 2 cards vs. a likely 4 cards
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM

Thanks, Adanthar.

[ QUOTE ]
But also, 1sb represents a sizable loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rusty, it was time to gamble. If this hand hadn't immediatly followed the one where I lost a huge portion of my stack, I'd have had my wits about me and reraised. This player would have re-reraised with a real hand and folded with a brick. I'd have won or gone out, but at least I wouldn't have gone out feeling like an idiot.

Where the hell is Mike Matesow when I need him?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have like 30 antes. As soon as you get involved in a hand you have 3bb. I'd wait for better position if not a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the number of antes the relevant number or is it an "M" type number based on the number of antes plus expected bring ins each time around the table. With antes at 400 and bring in at 600, hero expects to have to pay 3400 to play each cycle (assuming that he brings in 1 in 7 times). With his chip stack of 13,675 that gives him an "R" of about 4. I think this measure is a little better than number of antes because the bring in to ante ratio can vary depending on the structure.

Can someone who is a lot better player than me explain what "R" you would need before you started completing with essentially what hero had (low card showing with another wheel card in the hole)