Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Default NL10 - AJo calling UTG raise...spew?

UTG is about 26/10/1 and is a very straight forward player. I have AJo and never know what to do here. Hand is not qutie strong enough to 3bet an early position raise, so I call to see a flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($6)
UTG ($11.50)
Hero ($10.95)
CO ($4.70)
Button ($9)
SB ($15.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.4</font>, Hero calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.95) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.6</font>, Hero calls $0.60.
He cbets, but I didn't think he's actually hit any piece of that flop so I call with the intention of betting turn if he checks. If he double barreled or raised my turn bet I'd be folding.

Turn: ($2.15) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.65</font>, UTG folds.
He checks turn, so I bet as planned, and he folds - yay

Final Pot: $2.15

Is my float spewy? Should I have folded to his UTG raise/flop bet?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: NL10 - AJo calling UTG raise...spew?

I'll have a go.

As played i think the float is ok here. If he is very straight forawrd with those stats that flop is unlikely to hit his range too often. Plus it is likely to hit your cold calling range.

If you had 9T here you would play it the same way.

I think vs someone who plays extrmemly tight utg i would be inclined to fold AJo pre flop though cause its likely to be dominated and call with more drawry hands if you have a read that he stacks off.

Just my two cents
Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 PM

I usually fold pre-flop. Post-flop is fine.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Something I never do, but... if you know how he plays postflop well enough it doesn't matter what your hand is here. The only thing I would recommend is not doing this in MP. I would stick to late position, maybe only Button. The last thing you want with a hand like this is a bunch of extra callers.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something I never do, but... if you know how he plays postflop well enough it doesn't matter what your hand is here. The only thing I would recommend is not doing this in MP. I would stick to late position, maybe only Button. The last thing you want with a hand like this is a bunch of extra callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was thinking. If I'm going to call it's going to be on CO or button. It would suck to get more calls or get raised behind you here.

Also I'd look at villian's attempt to steal...and compare it to his PFR....basically to get an idea of how positionally aware he is if I don't already know. His PFR is 10 so if his attempt to steal is significantly higher than he is likel positionally aware and his UTG raising range is likely tighter than that 10%. Too tight an UTG range and I'm just dumping AJ from anywhere.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I'd look at villian's attempt to steal...and compare it to his PFR....basically to get an idea of how positionally aware he is if I don't already know. His PFR is 10 so if his attempt to steal is significantly higher than he is likel positionally aware and his UTG raising range is likely tighter than that 10%. Too tight an UTG range and I'm just dumping AJ from anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah I didn't consider attempt to steal...and that does make sense.

Thanks for the replies, I'll take stealing ranges etc into account next time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 PM

Fold it preflop. AJo isn't good enough to be looking up an utg raise unless the villain is verrrrry loose. Even then I'd wait for a better spot. Aces are all about the kicker, and a jack's just not that good.