Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Flush draw with shorty allin

Tourney is the SSMTT tourney from saturday. I'd like opinions on preflop and the flop for this hand, as when the shorty goes in i'm not as sure how to play it. Should I isolate preflop? I chose not to b/c I didn't want to be called and then have to play AQs oop in a big pot. On the flop, should I semi-bluff like I did when the shorty is allin so I'm not guaranteed to win the pot even if UTG folds?

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: 1,989
Hero (BB): 3,150
UTG: 4,096
UTG+1: 3,180
MP: 1,215
CO: 250
BTN: 1,640

Pre-Flop: (75) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG calls 50, 2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to 250 and is All-In</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls 200, UTG calls 200

Flop: (775) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)
<font color="red">Hero bets 500</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to 1,200</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to 2,900 and is All-In</font>

PS: RevPhong, you wanted me to post the hand early on where I raised, you reraised, and I pushed, I had KK that hand so I don't see much value in posting the hand, but just thought i'd let you know since you wanted to.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Flush draw with shorty allin

With an UTG limper I think just calling preflop is fine.

While I don't see much sense betting into an empty sidepot without a hand but with the nutflush-draw; I would have checked the flop.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 PM

check flop... be more apt to bet draws when they aren't to the nuts than when they are.... you want to see if you get there. plus you have all in player so cooperation play to knock him out is in your favor as you want ppl off the table.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Yeah betting makes absolutely no sense. You usually semibluff with draws to take down the pot or to have outs if you get called. So you are basically betting into an empty, dry sidepot. If there was a shortie all in and you would have a big sidepot then a bet would be better.

--&gt; check flop
Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah betting makes absolutely no sense. You usually semibluff with draws to take down the pot or to have outs if you get called. So you are basically betting into an empty, dry sidepot. If there was a shortie all in and you would have a big sidepot then a bet would be better.

--&gt; check flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen more and more betting into dry sidepots and the bettor showing either a draw or an underpair. This always [censored] me off - but is this becoming the norm?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Ok, so everyone says check is best and that seems correct as my semibluff is pointless since I can't take the pot down with it. What do I do when I check and he bets into me? Semi-bluff raise then for the side pot + possibility of main pot win? Call with incorrect odds? The hand seems too strong to fold here.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 PM

I also hate a dry pot bet, especially with only a draw.
If you check and he bets, you do have some fold equity and a side pot so play as your style dictates. W/O odds and tons of chips I'm otta there. Probably not but you may be drawing dead. If your style says call or push - go for it.