Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Would OOT enjoy an "ask me" thread about lesbians?
yes 9 9.89%
YES 82 90.11%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: who does tOSU play in the title game?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN family of channels is polliticking hard for LSU

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sad that this will likely be the deciding factor in who plays for the championship. Going into the day, I was thinking it would be 80/15/5 Georgia/LSU/other on who would make the title game if Mizzou and WVU lost. Now, I have it 60/40 LSU solely on the basis of ESPN/ABC talking the voters around.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the ESPN politicking involves incessantly beating the "you must win your conference to get to the national title game" drum, then ESPN is just borrowing from the Gary Danielson/CBS pimping that got Florida into the title game last year.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Hawaii wins their game tonight, they should be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. As I posted in the other thread, Hawaii has one less loss and a more impressive best victory(Boise St was ranked higher than Michigan) than OSU...why is Ohio St getting the nod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that's a ridiculously oversimplistic view of strength of schedule, accomplishment, and team strength? How about that OSU crushed most teams all year, while Hawaii had a very hard time with many very weak teams? And that OSU played a much harder (though overall still weak) schedule?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think Hawaii has played enough tough teams, then put them in the title game against a tough team. That way, either way we'll know for sure. But if Hawaii doesn't get in, then we could have another Boise St situation where we truly don't know if they were the best team or not. Why would you rather not find out than find out if Hawaii is for real? I could understand your argument if there were many other deserving teams, but theres not so lets give the undefeated team a chance and see what happens. What happened to Boise St last year was a tragedy imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
great idea. lets encourage teams to make the easiest schedules possible because going undefeated against west endover community college and itt tech will guarantee a spot in the national championship. this will do wonders for college football

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.....so you're saying that you don't think Hawaii has played enough tough opponents. Ok, I agree with you there. But...

my solution is to give them the toughest possible opponent(which would be against the other top team in the NT game) and find out.

Your solution is to give them an easier opponent in a lesser bowl.

That makes no sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
so you give them the national championship game. in the next few years every mid major school in the country makes the softest schedules they possibly can so they have a shot at going undefeated and can get into the national title game. eventually the national title is contested every year between two undefeated mid major teams that played cake schedules because apparently the only requirement is to go undefeated. brilliant

21-0 first quarter btw

Are people seriously arguing for Florida? seriously?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So had Va Tech lost to a mediocre team by 40, it would almost be better for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why the H2H argument is flawed. Losing to a mediocre team should never be > losing to a really good team. Other things being equal you'd put LSU above Va. Tech because of that game, but other things aren't equal. LSU lost at home to a crap team with everything on the line, and Va. Tech killed all the bad teams they played.

That being said I'd probably still put LSU slightly ahead of Va. Tech but I definitely think Va. Tech > Georgia, USC and Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it was somewhat close game sure

but a 41 point beating? come on, LSU>>>>>Va Tech

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the reason this fails. If we were comparing two roughly equivalent teams, and one of those teams happened to beat the other one by 41 points, then its a no-brainer that they should get to go. But that isnt what we are doing. We are comparing Team A that managed to beat Team B by 41 and STILL isnt better than them, and Team B which managed to lose by 41 to Team A and STILL isnt worse than them. So the 41 point loss is already taken into consideration. If we ignored that loss, VaTech would be WAY ahead of LSU. It is that loss that makes them roughly equal.

So you have to find a new criterion.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So had Va Tech lost to a mediocre team by 40, it would almost be better for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why the H2H argument is flawed. Losing to a mediocre team should never be > losing to a really good team. Other things being equal you'd put LSU above Va. Tech because of that game, but other things aren't equal. LSU lost at home to a crap team with everything on the line, and Va. Tech killed all the bad teams they played.

That being said I'd probably still put LSU slightly ahead of Va. Tech but I definitely think Va. Tech > Georgia, USC and Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the reason this fails. If we were comparing two roughly equivalent teams, and one of those teams happened to beat the other one by 41 points, then its a no-brainer that they should get to go. But that isnt what we are doing. We are comparing Team A that managed to beat Team B by 41 and STILL isnt better than them, and Team B which managed to lose by 41 to Team A and STILL isnt worse than them. So the 41 point loss is already taken into consideration. If we ignored that loss, VaTech would be WAY ahead of LSU. It is that loss that makes them roughly equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I actually kind of like this argument. I still think LSU > Va Tech but this does cast some doubt on the strength of the "just look at the h2h matchup". Well played sir.

[ QUOTE ]
Are people seriously arguing for Florida? seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

no we just playin'

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If VT doesn't blow a 13 point lead with 4 minutes to go, they are in the championship game with no questions.

Hawaii, Kansas, and tOSU are the three you have to choose from. How can you pick a two loss team over a one loss team or an undefeated team?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Hawaii wins their game tonight, they should be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. As I posted in the other thread, Hawaii has one less loss and a more impressive best victory(Boise St was ranked higher than Michigan) than OSU...why is Ohio St getting the nod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that's a ridiculously oversimplistic view of strength of schedule, accomplishment, and team strength? How about that OSU crushed most teams all year, while Hawaii had a very hard time with many very weak teams? And that OSU played a much harder (though overall still weak) schedule?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think Hawaii has played enough tough teams, then put them in the title game against a tough team. That way, either way we'll know for sure. But if Hawaii doesn't get in, then we could have another Boise St situation where we truly don't know if they were the best team or not. Why would you rather not find out than find out if Hawaii is for real? I could understand your argument if there were many other deserving teams, but theres not so lets give the undefeated team a chance and see what happens. What happened to Boise St last year was a tragedy imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
great idea. lets encourage teams to make the easiest schedules possible because going undefeated against west endover community college and itt tech will guarantee a spot in the national championship. this will do wonders for college football

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.....so you're saying that you don't think Hawaii has played enough tough opponents. Ok, I agree with you there. But...

my solution is to give them the toughest possible opponent(which would be against the other top team in the NT game) and find out.

Your solution is to give them an easier opponent in a lesser bowl.

That makes no sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, if it was somehow possible to make them play like Oklahoma next week for the CHANCE to play in the National Championship, then what you are saying might make some sense. But you are saying that in order to find out if they deserve to go to the National Championship Game, we should put them in the National Championship Game. That is not a good idea, unless you want EVERY team to start scheduling like Hawaii does. Get ready for UCF vs. Central Michigan for the NC next year.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hawaii, Kansas, and tOSU are the three you have to choose from. How can you pick a two loss team over a one loss team or an undefeated team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beccause Kirk Herbstreit tells you to.