Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Default NLCASH how do you guys feel about playing shorstacks?

I am pretty new to headsup, I have played quite a bit of 6max. So far I have been playing people that buyin for 40bb because they generaly seem pretty bad. I do not play against people that buyin for less then that, just doesn't seem that great.

Is playing the mediocre/bad players that have 40bb very good for bb/100 hands? Also, what do you guys do when you get the guy that bought in for 40 to say 25bb or less?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: NLCASH how do you guys feel about playing shorstacks?

i'll play people with 40BBs, but not 20BBs

at 1/2NL 80.00 is an easy 80.00 no matter how you look at it.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM

i find they usually try to martingale you. once they loose their 40bb, they buy in full.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i find they usually try to martingale you. once they loose their 40bb, they buy in full.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this a lot. Many times they will sit out for a few minutes after I bust them, I'm guessing they are loading money into their accounts.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM

I'll play the 40 BB stacks, but nothing less.. I usually tighten up my raising range a bit from the button and c-bet a lil smaller than usual... I think if you make the adjustments it's not too bad.. Also I'll felt more hands pre-flop that i'd usually fold if a 200BB stack 4-bet me.

The spots I really hate with the $80 stacks at 200NL for example is when I'm OOP and have a big unpaired hand like AK/AQ/AJ, they raise to 6, I pop to 20 and then they just call, leaving them like 60 left in a $40 pot.. when I whiff I don't know what to do.. usually I check/fold since nothing seems right..

I think against short stackers you just get into more akward situations, but you still have a big edge and as People_Mover said, $80 is still $80. What tilts
me though is when someone sits with $80, runs it up on me then leaves.. bound to happen but annoying.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:19 PM

I'll play 40bb's and up...I used to not like playing fullstacks but these days I like playing the 40bb guys...they just seem to be the easiest money. Also.. tenking diagf
Old 11-20-2007, 03:50 PM

As Marwan said, watching someone double up an 40BB stack a couple of times and then leave is the worst feeling. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I always think I lost 200BB's trying to win 40BB.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:50 PM

yea exactly.. Even if I know I have a big edge, it's like I'm risking $200 to win $80, while they're risking $80 to win $200 (or more if I stick around).. then if I win it back from being stuck it's just sort of getting my money back + $80..also I don't see short-stackers reloading a lot.. some do, but I notice they either double up a few times then leave, or lose their $80 and leave/sit out
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 PM

so what do you guys do when you get a 40bb guy grinded down to like 25bb or lower (because now it is essentialy like someone sat with 25bb or less and according to most of your guidelines you don't like playing that short).

But if you sit out at this point it is like you were just taking 15-20bb off the guy in the case you didn't stack him for 40bb but just grinded him down a bit. To me it just seems annoying to spend time playing someone this short when I could just open up another table and use my time better, but as you guys said often these bad guys will buy in for more when you bust their 40bb, so maybe it is best to just try to finish them off and see what happens?

I'm interested in having an efficient bb/100 and since I do not have much exp playing headsup was looking for some thoughts in this situation.