Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Default $6 FO Party - Flopped top two

Situation: Party Poker, $6 Freezeout, ~600 entrants, 80 paid. 75 left.

UTG had been on my table for the entire tourney. Everything about her play seemed very solid. Stats I have on her over about 120 hands 22/15/3.5.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t800/t1600 (Ante: t50)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t56000
UTG+1: t13780
MP1: t34601
MP2: t13665
MP3: t20870
CO: t55670
Button: t24375
Hero: t56940
BB: t25725

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t1600, 3 folds, MP3 calls t1600, 2 folds, Hero calls t800, BB checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t6400, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t4200</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t8400</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t18600</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in t45950</font>, Hero ???

What is my action here? What do you put UTG on?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: $6 FO Party - Flopped top two

I always get suspicious of an UTG limp at a late stage, especially from a reasonable player. Not much you can do here though. Since u got an ace itīs obv less likely she has AA....uuuhh I dunno. I prolly stack off here.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Just push after the first raise. As played I think u have to call here, AA is unlikely, 10 10 and 88 are possibilities, but I'm leaning towards AK or AQ
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Why would TT be more likely than AA? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I agree though that this is probably an AK/AQ/AJ type hand.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 AM

I ended up folding this hand. We didnt tangle too much in this session and I think I sent her the message with my re-reraise that I have at least two pair or better.

Since her push tells me she can beat that I chose to fold and continue play with an M of about 9. Assumed her range to push after the re-reraise would be AA, TT, 88. Is the fact that I hold cards from two hands of that range a reason to call?

I think she would push with AT and A8 as well, but didnt believe she'd limp that UTG at this stage.

This reasoning any good or do I have to stack off here?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 AM

I guess you are overevaluating the UTG limp. At a 6$ MTT you will see ppl limping UTG with a lot of hands. I think you have to stack off here. The only hand you have to worry about is 88. And you will see a lot of overplayed Toppair hands here or some smaller 2pair. Sometimes you will see 88, but thats a cooler. Just get it in.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 AM

you folded??
-ev
aces up on flop

prob she was limping with AJ or AQ offsuit
maybe 88 but that's a cooler

No way i folded here.. what do u want to do?
fold your way into final table?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM

First of all - has your converter a problem - or do I have one? Iīm sitting here at work ... the bets on the flop donīt seem to be accumulated, donīt they? So Villain bets first 8400 and then another 45950. Shouldnīt the final bet be the sum of all bets? Anyhow ...

Something smells bad on this hand for me: Villains line looks very much like a set, most likely 88. Why? AK is unprobably as she (?) would / should have raised pf. Or did she maybe plan to limp-reraise? AQ is possible, but would she have limped with preflop? And would she really 4-bet the flop with? Anything else she would have limped with (AJ included), wouldnīt (or shouldnīt) 4-bet the flop. A8 and even AT arenīt in her limping range pf (maybe ATs). Said this, the only hands that make full sense on all streets are AA, TT, 88, ATs. As you hold A and T there is one possibility for AA and TT each and three possibilities for 88. ATs is impossible. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now the other side of the medal: if she really had a set - which is a real monster on this flop - why should she intend to kick MP3? Or was it the try to build a real big pot, relying on MP3 to call/raise anyway if he has an A and fold anyway if not, besides getting the chance of a 3-bet from you? Would she interpret your 3-bet as a hand strong enough to call her (really big!) shove? This would be a real deep thinking for this level.

All in all, you get odds of about 2.7:1 if I made no mistake, so you should be nearly 75% certain that you have the worst hand. As I (while writing this) more and more tend to Villain having <u>no</u> set, you should call this. I think, Villain made a mistake here, independent from her actual holding (only a stone-cold bluff would be really, really nice here [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

Said this - nevertheless, I respect your fold. It was a tough one and you had a reasonable thinking for this.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[...] At a 6$ MTT you will see ppl limping UTG with a lot of hands. [...]

[/ QUOTE ]

Her stats tell something different ... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Tackleberry, great argumentation.. my thougts exactly. ty.

The converter is [censored] up yes. Had to edit some more things, but didnt see that one.

btw she showed A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I finally finished 20th.