Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Default What to do with $110 in FTP

Hey guys,

Just want to hear a few suggestions of what to do with $110 in FTP. Basically, should I play 10 $10 Sng's, or 20 $5 Sng's? The quality of play doesnt seem to differ much between the 2.

And as far as cash games I only have 11 10NL BI's, which isn't too bad, even though 20 BI's is ideal.

Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: What to do with $110 in FTP

Because of how bad the play is at those levels, I definitely suggest the $5.50 SNGs so you can have better odds of beating the variance at those levels. Also worthwhile is to dedicate some time to some of the 8.80 token tourneys that pay out 5 x $24 tokens. I got a token in one of these once, took the $24 token and went into a 18 person SNG for $75 tokens. Got my $75 token and played in a $69+6 cash sit and took it down for $300+ with a ~$9 investment... talk about +EV.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Do the cash games if you are serious about keeping your money. 5 $20 sit n gos would be nutty and youd have to get lucky. If you really wanna make something out of it and are patient, stick to 10NL and grind it.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the cash games if you are serious about keeping your money. 5 $20 sit n gos would be nutty and youd have to get lucky. If you really wanna make something out of it and are patient, stick to 10NL and grind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about $20 Sng's [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I said do I
(a) play 10 $10 Sng's, (b) 20 $5 Sng's or (c) 10NL
Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 PM

A good guide is to only invest 5% of your bank roll at any one time. If you are a winning player, you'll go up levels as a natural course. If you're a losing player, you'll last longer.
To take an extreme example, if you invest 100% of your bankroll every time you sit down, eventually you'll go broke (as a result of short term variance) even if you are far better than the level you are playing at.
Patience is one of a winning players most important weapons. Build your roll slowly and surely.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about $20 Sng's [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I said do I
(a) play 10 $10 Sng's, (b) 20 $5 Sng's or (c) 10NL

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. Cash and SNGs are different games with different required skill sets. It depends on what you are better at.
Perhaps you could do a combination of all three options. Some cash, some $5 SNGs, some $10 SNGs.
The 5% of bankroll rule is safer but 10% is acceptable too (if you are VERY sure you're a winning player.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good guide is to only invest 5% of your bank roll at any one time. If you are a winning player, you'll go up levels as a natural course. If you're a losing player, you'll last longer.
To take an extreme example, if you invest 100% of your bankroll every time you sit down, eventually you'll go broke (as a result of short term variance) even if you are far better than the level you are playing at.
Patience is one of a winning players most important weapons. Build your roll slowly and surely.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I think it seems more reasonable to play 20 $5.50 Sng's than 10NL with 11 buyins. The quality of play in both is still equally bad, what do you think?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:22 PM

haha my bad, horribly misread that part...20 5s seems ok to me
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I think it seems more reasonable to play 20 $5.50 Sng's than 10NL with 11 buyins. The quality of play in both is still equally bad, what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the 20 buyins at 5nl so you try both that and $5 SNGs and see what game works better for you. If it starts badly and you start losing, you still have wriggle room to drop down to $2 SNGs and 0.02 cash and still satisfy the 5% rule. If you start well and win, you'll soon have the bank roll to play higher levels. You'll eventually find a level where you are a winning player. Then you can move up levels as you gain experience and skill.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:45 AM

The rake is 10% at the micro limits